1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

How to adjust your PCDPs tracking and focus

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by lamerdeluxe (tm), Mar 7, 2003.
First

Back
3 4
Next

Last
  1. brent_mr2
    plastic cleaner (for cars) is good for removing surface scratches too, but keep it away from cracks and textured plastics.

2. muzikk
    Was there any previous threads with tips how to clean and take care of your cds? Toothpaste, car cleaner? I never knew they can be used to clean your cds.

3. puppyslugg
    Quote:

Originally posted by muzikk
    Was there any previous threads with tips how to clean and take care of your cds? Toothpaste, car cleaner? I never knew they can be used to clean your cds.

Toothpaste has very fine(gentle) polishing agent in them. Even still, you need to be very gentle when 'polishing' cd's. I would suggest going across the cd at a 90 degree angle. Depending on how deep the scratch is, it may not remove the scatch totally. But it may get it back to playable condition.

4. brent_mr2
    Oh, about the plastic cleaner, I thought we were discussing cleaning the player (vwap's post). I'd personally use something like the skip Dr:

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_...a9dbba/i-1.JPG

for CDs/DVDs. But you can always experiment with CDRs.

I did a search on "toothpaste" and it did come up a few times as a possible CD cleaner. Somebody also recommended the skip Dr.

5. 00940
    I've similar problems with my D-33, gonna try tomorrow to take it apart. [​IMG]

6. LamerDeluxe (tm)
    Hope you'll be able to save your D-33! I have a D-100 that totally doesn't recognize any discs, could be the same problem.

As for toothpaste, indeed, use it as a polish. I learned it's best to polish using your finger, because most cloths by themselves will cause fine scratches.

Polishing using toothpaste also works really well for removing scratches from LCD display covers, I know because I have a couple of handheld games I used it with. Alternatively use a product called 'displex display polish', mainly intended for removing scratches from mobile phone displays, it can ofcourse be used with other displays and CD's as well, I've used it before.

7. vwap
    Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
    As for toothpaste, indeed, use it as a polish. I learned it's best to polish using your finger, because most cloths by themselves will cause fine scratches.

What kind of toothpaste works best? I've got one of those baking soda-peroxide ones.. with two distinct streams of each cleaner.. Should I go find some Aquafresh? [​IMG]

[Cool.. this might help me clean off my D-35.. without killing the electronics! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. LamerDeluxe (tm)
    I just use my regular toothpaste, nothing special peppermint stuff with no flouride.

9. 00940
    i've open my d33, and there is a lot of trimmers :

3 X 473
    1 X 102
    1X 223
    1 X 472

gonna try to find what each does, it is really a pain to open this ****, i had to cut a few tape to free wires.

10. LamerDeluxe (tm)
    Those numbers totally don't ring a bell. Be sure to mark or measure their current positions and return them to those if a pot doesn't change anything. Turn the pots very gradually.

Don't adjust the pot on the laser head!

11. vwap
    Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
    i've open my d33, and there is a lot of trimmers :

3 X 473
    1 X 102
    1X 223
    1 X 472

gonna try to find what each does, it is really a pain to open this ****, i had to cut a few tape to free wires.

I don't have an open discman right now.. but could these be the numbers on TOP of the pots? I think the numbers on TOP of each pot is just a part number. The numbers printed on the PCB are the ones you should be looking for. They should be surrounding the pot.

12. 00940
    oups, vwap, you're right.

I have adjust the tracking balance and, even if it skips still as much for scratches, the recovery time is shorter, and the player is less sensitive to small shocks

Thanks all.

13. LamerDeluxe (tm)
    For scratches you might have to adjust focus, or the gain pots, if there are any.

The CD repair FAQ has some more details on which pot affects which symptom.

14. 00940
    indeed, the focus improved the things a lot. Only the big scratches are problematic now. [​IMG]

15. puppyslugg
    Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
    indeed, the focus improved the things a lot. Only the big scratches are problematic now. [​IMG]

There is only one adjustment that would fix that....nevermind! [​IMG]

BTW: Congrats!

First

Back
3 4
Next

Last