How to acquire a British accent?
Jun 16, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being American, I generally have little knowledge of such subjects. I always took 'British' to mean England, Scotland and Wales, while Ireland was kept seperate. Is this correct?

That is correct, yes. Hence the difference between Britain and the United Kingdom (Britain + Northern Ireland).

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. English first lesson:

To say hello in posh voice
AIR-HAIR-LAIR (said like one long word)

I don't get it.

Jun 16, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #49 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem, I'm still a bit oversensitive about it all.

Pronouncing the H in herbs is a good start also, of course, for authentic slang, you'd drop most of the h's, dropping the h in horrible, house, horse etc.. heh.

for example, "You call this Herbal tea?"

or "you 'orrible little man?, go up t'ut 'ouse and get my 'orse, an 'urry up!"

It's all very confusing you know.

When I lived in Hayes, Middlesex, they would say oribbo(for horrible)
Another saying was : that wernt naaf baad aay?
(that wasn't too bad was it?)

Jun 17, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #52 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha. British includes Scottish and English, doesn't it?
wink.gif
... Now up in Edinburgh for uni, I've resisted picking up the Scottish accent rather successfully. However, the Edinburgh Scottish accent is much nicer than the Glaswegian one (no offense!). It's much softer and a bit posher.

Can't believe all the Glaswegian accent hate in this thread! I'll have you know call centres are located in Glasgow because of the pleasant accent!

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #53 of 83
accents i can't stand. deep welsh accents, no matter who's coming from, they just sound stupid, they could be talking about rocket science and still sound stupid. the rough scottish accent, sounds like they are about to start a fight. thou a pretty girl with a posh scottish accent is very sexy. brummie accent is not that attractive either.

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #57 of 83
My dad is English (now in Australia). There are many things:

Don't sound the letter T in words like "Potter", "batter" or "interesting". They should sound like "Po-er" (the 'o' just stops suddenly and then the next syllable without hearing the 'Tts' of the T, 'ba-er', and 'in-eres-in'. If there is a T at the end of a word like "put", try to soften/cut it short too.

When saying "put", instead of having a short 'o' sound (the 'o' sound ppl make when acting like a monkey 'ooh ooh ooh', you should lengthen it, so it sounds like the 'oo' in 'poo'.

And ALL 'R's are softened (think someone mentioned that already).

So combining the three rules above, the phrase "put it over there" would sound like "pood i- over theyah" Same with "but", it should sound more like "boot", "suggest" should sound like "soogest", "son" should sound like "soon" (but a bit quicker than actually saying the word 'soon').

Some english accents say 'fink' instead of 'think' (listen to Lilley Allen for an example... in fact, screw it, go learn from here, decent music, fun tunes, and she aint bad lookin' and u can learn a bri-ish accent at the same time
redface.gif
D ). You could also just watch some Jamie Oliver.

'person' is more like 'baaaaahsted' (same way us Aussies say it).

But then, that's just what I've heard from dad, as said above, there's many different british accents.

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're so grateful you took her off our hands though. It's kind of funny to here her talk about what a terrible place the U.S. is now. Maybe she can redo all of her old hits with a British accent, and get some radio play again.
tongue.gif

Well, you got the Beckhams, so fair's fair
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #59 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inspired by the American accent thread, how do you learn to speak with a more British accent without actually living there? Somebody told me to watch BBC or check Blair's speeches on youtube. Any other suggestions?

"Everybody sing... Beans, bangers, and mash!!"

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #60 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you got the Beckhams, so fair's fair
tongue.gif

Looks like Beckham's elocution lessons have lowered his voice by a millionth of a semitone. Now he's only slightly higher than his wife!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back