How to acquire a British accent?
Jan 3, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad is English (now in Australia). There are many things:

Don't sound the letter T in words like "Potter", "batter" or "interesting". They should sound like "Po-er" (the 'o' just stops suddenly and then the next syllable without hearing the 'Tts' of the T, 'ba-er', and 'in-eres-in'. If there is a T at the end of a word like "put", try to soften/cut it short too.

When saying "put", instead of having a short 'o' sound (the 'o' sound ppl make when acting like a monkey 'ooh ooh ooh', you should lengthen it, so it sounds like the 'oo' in 'poo'.

Depends on region tbh, i generally sound my Ts.

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #62 of 83
Yes and no. It's true that we don't really pick up accents as easy after about 11 years of age. But some people actually continue to pick them up quite easily but some are more rigid. So Bush isn't necessarily faking (his accent). Besides he doesn't have a very strong Texan accent, does he? I think I've heard much stronger accents than his (but I'm in Europe so I don't really know.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe after the age of 13 or so you can no longer acquire an accent. (unless you fake it)

People think American president George Bush has a real southern accent but he lived in like Connecticut or some where in Northern America until he was 13 and bought his Ranch in Texas the year when he was running for president. He's fakin'!

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #63 of 83
C'mon, what's wrong with the Glaswegian accent?
redface.gif
Best way I would learn an accent is to be around people who are speaking it, and just practise.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #64 of 83
Why would anybody want to talk like a pom? Curious ambition.
tongue.gif

cheers
Simon

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #67 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe after the age of 13 or so you can no longer acquire an accent. (unless you fake it)

Not true. My family grew up in northeastern Ohio, and my sister moved to Atlanta when she was 20 or so, and has lived down south ever since. She has a southern accent like any other southerner. I once spent three weeks in Boston a few years ago, and even in that short time, I had picked up some traces of the Boston accent. We mimic what we hear around us, and it doesn't take long. It may not be as thick as a native accent, but it will still be noticeable.

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #68 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the colonials are starting to get a little above themselves in this thread...

wink.gif

Colonials? Us? We resemble that remark. It is our duty as colonials to remind aforementioned poms and others in the "mother country" of their place in the grand scheme of life. Now I am sounding like a pom. (Colonial slaps sense into self)
wink.gif

cheers
Simon

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #69 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inspired by the American accent thread, how do you learn to speak with a more British accent without actually living there? Somebody told me to watch BBC or check Blair's speeches on youtube. Any other suggestions?

Hardly any of us here in the Uk speak like Blair, he's a nob! We don't speak like the Queen either. If your after a major stereotypical British accent then yeh, copy how the Queen talks.

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #70 of 83
resemble. how odd
smily_headphones1.gif
.. I'll chalk that one up to the pesky spell checker eh?

Oh and I don't think the C in C has that strong a Texan Accent.. i think he just sounds inarticulate with a drawl.. and thats not the same thing at all.

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #73 of 83
This whole wanting to talk in british accent seems to be the in thing now. Almost all prime time tv shows in the major networks like Fox, ABC and NBC seem to have either a host with a british accent or a judge in the panel who is Brit.

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #74 of 83
I don't care....as long as I'll be able to order my pint when I'm in Britain
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back