How tight is the Sennheiser 5x8 series?
Mar 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BluePhase

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime reader, but first time poster.

I'm looking to buy my first hifi headphone and since I'll be using it for movies as well, was interested in the Sennheiser HD 558. However, I read quite a few posts of people complaining how tight these headphones sit on one's head. I have a big noggin myself (motorcycle helmet size XXL), but have no issues with my Sennheiser 448 and HDR 170. Is the HD 558 comparable to these headsets?

I would hate to end up never using the headphone because it is too uncomfortable (as happened with my €120 CM Storm Sirus dolby headset).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 7
The 5X8 line are among the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. I have a very large head (even XL baseball caps are too small) myself, so you should be fine.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 7
I would say, partly due to the plastic design materials, that the HD-5x8 series have a low clamping force.  I have owned both the HD-555 and HD-595 which are basically the same as the new models.  They were both very comfortable.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 7
After a few days of constant use, the initial clamp of the HD5** series headphones begin to stretch. The pads also become more plush as you use them. The headphones are very comfortable after break in.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Tight enough to not slip off, but not so tight as to be uncomfortable.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for all your informative replies. Much appreciated.
I just ordered a set of HD 558's online. They should be here tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back