How similar to speakers can be the AKG K-1000 soundstage ?
Jul 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jmf

Head-Fier
Hi,

I own a AKG K-1000 driven by a SOHA II amp and DIY Monica DAC. IU'm quite happy with that rig, but do not really achieve an "out of the head sound stage. It is less "in the head" than with my other headphones. Up to now, I just decided to listen to the music.

I would like to go further and make sure about what to look for. Is it possible with those ear speakers to achieve a speaker like soundstage ?

Is the angle of the K-1000 "speakers" critical for this (it has a lot of impact on the timbre/tone, but not so clear on the soundstage. Is there a proven protocole to set up those speakers angles ?

Are there other critical parameters for the soundstage ?

Thanks for your help and kind regards,

JMF

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 6
No.

What you can try is "crossfeed". This, done right, can simulate loudspeakers pretty well.

But - it will never sound like speakers. A large part of it is that in speakers, both ears hear both speakers at all times. The other factor is the room. Each room has a distinct sound you are used to. Good rooms will sound very nice, but all have echos and "standing wafes" aka room nodes and so on and so forth.

Headphones give you a purer, cleaner form of sound without any room. Try crossfeed.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for your answers,

I will start to play with Foobar (taht I already uses) and the crossfeed. Is there a proven plugin to start with ?.

I will also try tro learn more about Smyth SVS realiser from the net.

However, is there something similar on Foobar ?

Regards,

JMF

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 6
At the time, I'm playing with the Hear plugin from the IRCAM, french research institute (using foobar as host). Interesting... and needs more test.

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/plug_ins/ircam_hear

JMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back