How should I connect an amplifier to my computer and Xbox 360?
Oct 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello, I was just wondering how I would connect a JDS Labs cMoyBB to my 13-inch Macbook Pro and my Xbox 360 in such a way that I would be bypassing the internal amplifiers in those electronics so that I wouldn't be amplifying an already amplified signal. Keep in mind that the amplifier would be plugged directly into these devices as I don't have an external D/A converter and I don't plan on ever owning one for reasons that I won't mention on this particular sub-forum
wink_face.gif
. I know that with a digital audio player such as an iPod you have to have a LOD cable running from your DAP to your amplifier if you don't want to double amp . . . do you have to do something similar with computers and Xbox 360s?

EDIT: Do Xbox 360s even have internal amplifiers? Probably not right?

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 6
With the Mac, just plug the cmoy into the Mac's headphone jack, unless your willing to spend $15-$20 for a ELE El-D01 USB DAC (eBay) and plug the cmoy into the EL-D01.

Not sure what you going to connect the cmoy to on the xBox.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 6
  With the Mac, just plug the cmoy into the Mac's headphone jack, unless your willing to spend $15-$20 for a ELE El-D01 USB DAC (eBay) and plug the cmoy into the EL-D01.

Not sure what you going to connect the cmoy to on the xBox.

I know that with DAPs such as Apple's iDevices if you plugged a headphone amplifier into the headphone jack you would be listening to sound that has been amplified twice as that wouldn't bypass the internal amplifier. That is not the case with the MacBook Pro? I could just plug the cMoyBB right into the headphone jack and I wouldn't be listening to sound that has been amplified two times over? If so then I have another question for you: how come Apple designed their products so that you could plug a headphone amplifier into the headphone jack of the MacBook Pro and bypass their internal amplifier in the process but not do the same thing with their iDevices? That doesn't make sense to me.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 6

I know that with DAPs such as Apple's iDevices if you plugged a headphone amplifier into the headphone jack you would be listening to sound that has been amplified twice as that wouldn't bypass the internal amplifier. That is not the case with the MacBook Pro? I could just plug the cMoyBB right into the headphone jack and I wouldn't be listening to sound that has been amplified two times over? If so then I have another question for you: how come Apple designed their products so that you could plug a headphone amplifier into the headphone jack of the MacBook Pro and bypass their internal amplifier in the process but not do the same thing with their iDevices? That doesn't make sense to me.

When you plug the cmoy into the Apple Macbook Pro's headphone output, your not bypassing the Mac's headphone amplifier, it's just that I believe there is no other analog output you can plug the cmoy into your Macbook Pro.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 6

When you plug the cmoy into the Apple Macbook Pro's headphone output, your not bypassing the Mac's headphone amplifier, it's just that I believe there is no other analog output you can plug the cmoy into your Macbook Pro.

mad.gif
I don't want to have to buy an external D/A converter dang it! I hope that I can at least plug a headphone amplifier into my Xbox 360.

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 6
I know that the original poster has banned himself, but for the benefit of all those reading after (presumably those with self control) I'll clear up a fundamental misconception.  

Everything is amplified.  Even amplifiers themselves often have multiple amplifiers inside. The reason a Line out Dock on an iPod is preferred to the headphone out is not because it's no amplified.  It is amplified, to line level.  Line level does not clip, however, and the LOD may also bypass certain additional amplification stages.

A headphone amp can be plugged into an Xbox 360, sure, by using the analog out dongle and converting those red and white stereo RCA leads to one stereo 1/8" plug.  Something like this would do it just fine.

That setup does not lead to any increased quality, however, over plugging into something else.  Same goes for the macbook, just use the headphone out.  If you want better quality, you can bypass the d/a section (and its amplification) entirely with an external DAC.  You are opposed to them for some reason, apparently, but I suspect that reason is also misinformed.  

In any case, this is purely for convenience sake.  There is no gain in quality over other methods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back