How should custom IEM perfect fit feel like in the ears?
Jan 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

williammm91

New Head-Fier
I just recently got my Quads 1964 Ears and they sound wonderful!
But the feel in the two ears are different and I would like to know which fit is closer to the perfect fit.

Description of feeling:
When i place the left earphone it in my ears and its fully secure the pressure exerted on the ears is much more prominent than my right side. When i place my right earphones in my ears it feels as if the long part that goes into your ear canal goes in much more smoother and semi locks into place. The top part of my ears that locks onto the headphone when i push my headphones in after the twist is much easier on the right ear. It almost fits perfectly. Whereas my left earphones, I have to forcefully push in my earphones for it to lock in place. When i open my mouth about an inch the seal is broken on the right side and is not broken on the left.

So my question to you guys is which side seems like the better fit? If you guys need me to further explain the feel, feel free to ask.

Thank you!

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 8
Sounds like your right piece isn't snug enough. The seal shouldn't break that easily (or at all in a perfect world). If it breaks when your mouth is only an inch open that needs to be fixed. With the acrylic ear pieces I have the seal can and will break but only when my mouth is really wide open. Maybe this isn't the perfect fit either but I'm not willing to go through the hassle of refitting them :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Sounds like your right piece isn't snug enough. The seal shouldn't break that easily (or at all in a perfect world). If it breaks when your mouth is only an inch open that needs to be fixed. With the acrylic ear pieces I have the seal can and will break but only when my mouth is really wide open. Maybe this isn't the perfect fit either but I'm not willing to go through the hassle of refitting them :)

thanks for the response Joelby! I'm also really surprised that there aren't many threads about the fit of custom IEMs. I also agree that my right piece isn't snug enough. Now its hard to get a seal even when i put them on unless push them in my ears very deep. About three times i pushed it in to get a seal to far and i felt a slight pain in my ear canal.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Sounds like you don't have a good fit. I can't break the seal on both my CIEMs even when I open my jaw completely, not just an inch. 

I had to get a refit before because I felt that one ear fits almost perfectly. As in I still felt like I didn't get a complete seal and had to push it in more every 10 or so minutes. The refit was more than worth it though and I'm sure I have a perfect fit now. I never have to adjust my CIEM even during long listening periods and the seal doesn't break unless I smile really widely. No discomfort whatsoever and they feel "equal" on both sides. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Sounds like you don't have a good fit. I can't break the seal on both my CIEMs even when I open my jaw completely, not just an inch. 

I had to get a refit before because I felt that one ear fits almost perfectly. As in I still felt like I didn't get a complete seal and had to push it in more every 10 or so minutes. The refit was more than worth it though and I'm sure I have a perfect fit now. I never have to adjust my CIEM even during long listening periods and the seal doesn't break unless I smile really widely. No discomfort whatsoever and they feel "equal" on both sides. 

Can you describe how your iem feels in your ears? When you initially put them on, are you supposed to feel pressure all around in your ears?
And I'm pretty confident that my right earphones are too small. Sending it in for a refit soon.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 8
There's no pressure around my ears when I have them in, they feel very comfortable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back