How secure is PayPal?
Nov 26, 2006 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Chopha

100+ Head-Fier
Hello folks!

I have decided to order a pair of Liberators and the guys at Dark-Audio want me to pay by using PayPal. I have never used PayPal before and I wonder how secure it is? After I send my money from my user-account to his user-account at Dark-Audio, how do I know that he will send me my package when he receives my money?
Not that I don't trust Dark-Audio, but what incurrence do I have that I get what I pay for?

/Chopha

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 33
Have used PayPal 15-20 times and never had any problem; it seems to me that if you use a credit card via PayPal and the seller defaults then you have a cause of action against PayPal, so it gives some security. I wouldn't like to test it, though. Make sure that you're reasonably confident of the seller, and expect to take some risk.

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 33
PayPal is as secure as any other form of payment. It’s more secure than giving a waiter your credit card to take back and swipe.

Any transaction is only as good as the people you are dealing with. You should be researching Dark-Audio’s reputation not PayPal.

Using PayPal with a Credit Card ads another layer of safety. PayPal gives like 30 days to dispute a transaction but the Credit Card Company will work with you up to 90 days depending on your Credit Card.

The real key is dealing with reputable Sellers. Regardless of how you pay recovering your money from a bad transaction will be difficult if not impossible.

Mitch

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 33
Used Paypal for all of my Ebay transactions (using debit card) and i've had zero problems with it, like braillediver said just make sure your careful about who your sending money to.

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 33
Thank you guys for the answers and maybe should I change the question to:
How many has bought something from Dark-Audio and how did it go? Did anyone had any problem with them?

The paypal-account that he wants me to send the money to is: dark-audio@go2.pl

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 33
Okey, seems a bit suspicious...how did you search on the email KenW?

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 33
Paypal usually favors the seller because all the buyer has to do is call their CC company and do a charge-back, then paypal has no recourse but to go after the seller.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 33
excuse me, but what does "doing a charge-back" mean? Haha, sorry, english isn't my best card at school
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 33
PayPal is a pretty sleazy, disreputable outfit--although I think the expectation is they're improved after the buyout by Ebay. They (also) have lots of irritating components to their website--forcing you to read an ad every time you login, doing everything and anything possible to get your banking information, your social security info, etc., etc., etc.

Their fees, as far as sellers are concerned--are laughably high as well.

Sadly they're a necessary evil right now though. They have virtually no competition and if you want to use a credit card to pay an individual they're the only option out there. I've done countless transactions through paypal and they've been fine EXCEPT in the instance where there's a dispute--and as far as that paypal "guarantee" thing goes--that's completely useless. I could get into why but it's not worth the time.

This is also interesting reading:
http://www.paypalsucks.com/

None of this stops me from using them though--with a credit card, that is. Although I STRONGLY recommend you never, ever use your bank account to pay though otherwise you have ZERO recourse if the sale goes bad or if you get screwed. PayPal's "guarantee" is for ****.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 33
I've used paypal literally over a hundred times. It's about as safe as it gets. You have a double safety when usiing a credit card as you have a paypal dispute and a CC dispute.

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excuse me, but what does "doing a charge-back" mean? Haha, sorry, english isn't my best card at school
biggrin.gif

hehe. That's ok. Most credit card companies offer fraud protection in case you purchase something and don't receive the product, or receive it in damaged condition OR in case you have your credit card stolen and used without your authorization.

A charge back is what the credit card company does when you call them and tell them you were ripped off by the seller on a transaction. It's basically a forced-refund. Where the CC company charges the seller--or in this case paypal, for the funds that were transferred to that entity.

In essence it means you get your money back with very little hassle. Usually all you have to do is sign an affidavit and the credit card company gets you your money back within 24 hours.

I've actually had to use it twice for purchases that were made without my authorization (identity theft by some minimum wage flunky that wrote my # down when he was out of my sight with my card.. Happened at a restaurant, and a pizza place).

A very long time ago I had a buyer do it to me after claiming he received a product I sold him damaged, it was an ebay transaction gone bad, though in this case he kept the product and ended up being banned for life because apparently he had a habit of paying for items and then falsely claiming that the goods were damaged. I ended up losing $400.00 dollars on the deal because while ebay banned him, paypal could do nothing to stop the charge back so they came after me for the $$... It was really a huge ordeal because I refused to pay them because the seller never sent the item back. I had to fight with them for 6 months, and had to get a lawyer-friend involved before they dropped it. Then it took me another six months to have it removed off my credit report with all of the major credit reporting agencies.

Since then I use paypal only for very small items or for the website work I do on occasion.

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 33
Me, 5 yrs Paypal user with over 60 purchases, not a single problem.

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 33
Thank you for the answer guys, again...
So the most secure way for me to buy these Liberators, is to pay them with my credit card through PayPal.
So all I have to do is to - correct me if I’m wrong, please - add my MasterCard in my account in PayPal, and then send the precise amount of money (30 EURO) to Dark-Audio's account "dark-audio@go2.pl" and after that hope for the best to happen?

/Chopha

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 33
I sent payment through PayPal to Ray Samuels for a Hornet 10 minutes ago
biggrin.gif

Edit: Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha
Thank you for the answer guys, again...
So the most secure way for me to buy these Liberators, is to pay them with my credit card through PayPal.
So all I have to do is to - correct me if I’m wrong, please - add my MasterCard in my account in PayPal, and then send the precise amount of money (30 EURO) to Dark-Audio's account "dark-audio@go2.pl" and after that hope for the best to happen?

Yep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back