How Old Are Your Oldest Cans?
Apr 9, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #76 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by AV8TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The use of the SUPEREX pioneered, co-axial mounted, woofer/tweeter combination in each ear piece assures fine sound quality."

I'd have to ask him to make sure, but I'm fairly certain my father's headphones back in the early to mid 70's were a pair of grey, closed-cup Superex. I remember a silver emblem on each earcup. I also know that they had this co-axial arrangement described above - the tweeter was maybe the diameter of a half-dollar and white, mounted directly in front of a 3.5" paper-cone woofer. The elements were behind what looked like window screen with a gauzy blue backing. I couldn't tell you anything about the sound - I was approximately six years old when these headphones were last working well.
tongue.gif

I vividly remember that the woofer in one cup developed a tear, which my father fixed with nail polish along the rip sealing it back together.

I'm sure those Superex are long gone - he replaced them with AKG240 Sextetts in the early 80's and still has and enjoys those.

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #77 of 135
Oldest can must be 2 yrs old... cleaned up most of my old audio junk for new stuff in the last 6 months.

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #79 of 135
Sony V7.
Made in the 70's or the 80's.
Same thing as the V6 with straight cable or the CD900ST.

But it has been sacrificed and now only parts remain as the drivers are being implanted into something of greater importance.

Anyone want spare parts for their V6? :p

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #80 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by JXBJXB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd have to ask him to make sure, but I'm fairly certain my father's headphones back in the early to mid 70's were a pair of grey, closed-cup Superex. I remember a silver emblem on each earcup. I also know that they had this co-axial arrangement described above - the tweeter was maybe the diameter of a half-dollar and white, mounted directly in front of a 3.5" paper-cone woofer. The elements were behind what looked like window screen with a gauzy blue backing. I couldn't tell you anything about the sound - I was approximately six years old when these headphones were last working well.
tongue.gif

I vividly remember that the woofer in one cup developed a tear, which my father fixed with nail polish along the rip sealing it back together.

I'm sure those Superex are long gone - he replaced them with AKG240 Sextetts in the early 80's and still has and enjoys those.

JXBJXB, fascinating! You are right -- you described the Superex headphones exactly! There was indeed a silver emblem on each earcup, and in the case of my Superex headphones, they both fell off over time and were lost. Also, the speaker screens look like a window screen with a blue/green backing. You have an incredible memory, especially for being so young at the time! From what I can infer, Superex was an innovative company which produced a fine product. Too bad they went out of business. Actually, I don't know if they went out of business or were bought out. You ought to check if those old cans are collecting dust somewhere in your father's house. Thanks for your post!

AV8TR

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #81 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first 'stat was a PEP-79 back in the mid-70s. Earcups not dissimilar to the PRO-B VI. Kinda earmuffy but not uncomfortable. Not a lot of bass but then I was driving them with non-SOTA '70s electronics. Had the liquid treble I was looking for from the dynamics of the time and not getting.

I'd guess they disappeared in the early '80s or so.

They kill the SR-X Mk3 with a few mods driven out of a Stax amp and that says a lot. The stock adapter is pure crap but they run fine off a 230v bias line.

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #82 of 135
Spritzer, have you detailed these mods somewhere here on HF? And how did you become familiar with Superex, which could now be fairly termed an obscure make?

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #83 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, have you detailed these mods somewhere here on HF? And how did you become familiar with Superex, which could now be fairly termed an obscure make?

Some of what I did I'll keep to my self but I basically clamped the driver to the metal frame with extreme force. Driver mounting was often overlooked and the system Suprex used was no exception. The bass now has to be heard to be believed and the same goes for the highs. The soundstage is a little cramped but I'm hoping a recable will help with that.

I found the Suprex on ebay and got them cheap. I'm a compulsive collector so I jumped on them when I found them. They were in pretty rough condition but the drivers were in great shape.

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #86 of 135
I have earbuds from 1987; I don't know how old my Koss A/250 is but it seems to be pretty old.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #87 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by AV8TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JXBJXB, fascinating! You are right -- you described the Superex headphones exactly! There was indeed a silver emblem on each earcup, and in the case of my Superex headphones, they both fell off over time and were lost. Also, the speaker screens look like a window screen with a blue/green backing. You have an incredible memory, especially for being so young at the time! From what I can infer, Superex was an innovative company which produced a fine product. Too bad they went out of business. Actually, I don't know if they went out of business or were bought out. You ought to check if those old cans are collecting dust somewhere in your father's house. Thanks for your post!

Highly amusing, really. I can't remember when my mother's birthday is (sometime this month), or even what I had for breakfast yesterday morning (probably cereal) but I do remember those old headphones vividly. And now that you mentioned it, the silver emblems eventually fell off my dad's Superex, exposing (I think) a mounting screw for the drivers.

I'll ask him whatever happened to that old pair of cans. Thanks for the memories!

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #89 of 135
I cleaning up a pair of Koss ESP6's which have a test page which shows they were tested by Koss in 1969! They are starting to sound fairly decent although their self-bias operation is erratic for classical music because they lose their bias during long quiet passages, and the audio signal just about disappears. However they sound better with rock/pop which tends to have a steady signal.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #90 of 135
Just picked up a pair of NOS K400's from some guy on eBay. They still apparently sell them through their site, along with the K500. They are oldschool, you have to call them. I had to call them to pay with a CC, no Paypal through eBay.

Either way they are pretty old (1991), but sound awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back