how often do you reinstall / restore your computer's OS
Mar 13, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 37
I'm going to reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop when I can be bothered, mainly just to change from 32 to 64 bit I can use all my RAM. As others have said, cleaning out unused stuff, defragging and running a cleaning app (I use CCleaner) makes it largely unnecessary to do full reinstalls.

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #19 of 37
There are really a lot of variables to be taken in account, when talking about Windows. Depending on the usage of the system, if/how apps are installed/uninstalled, and the quality of said apps. While newer Windows versions are more resilient to natural occuring issues, some might (not always) happen.

But for someone with average computer knowledge, there is no reason why a system can't go over one year without a system refresh.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #20 of 37
Okay, I probably reinstall around every 4-6 months, already reinstalled windows 7 64bit 3 times since I first got it.
If I get a virus, I usually don't trust my virus scanner and remove it with a reinstall.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 37
I only use mine as a music server so once everything is stripped off of it, the only thing that goes on it is music and the only time it goes on the internet is for HD downloads. So far I havent had to reinstall once I had it set up. I think the only time I would reinstall is if the harddrive crashes.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #22 of 37
Your hard drive doesn't crash because of the operating system. It crashes because you need a new hard drive
biggrin.gif

A hard drive crash is a hardware issue, not a software issue. The OS doesn't run it, rather It runs the OS. So if IT crashes, then the OS goes with it. If the OS crashes, then IT still runs lol

Bro, change your hard drive before you lose everything you have worked for.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #27 of 37
Over the last 6 months, I have installed/reinstalled OSs around 8 times... but then again, it's the first time I've owned my own computer, and I am trying to find exactly what OS I like. I switch between Ubuntu, Mint 10, Puppy, Win7, and Splashtop.

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #29 of 37
re-install OS doesnt help your speed much,  i clean most the parts with air duster every other week, sometimes your laptop or desktop running slow is your harddrive, old or crappy hard drive makes it slow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back