How often do Audiologists mess up when getting impressions of your ears?
Jul 18, 2012 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
^^^ I would like to know how often Audiologists mess up (not get deep enough impressions etc.) when they are getting molds of the insides of your ears. Do they mess up often? Or not so often? Also, I would like to know if I would just be better off doing my own impressions.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 15
I read about a test someone did where they had a room full of people try to make their own impressions. Most were sub par. Audiologists have to practice making them then they get even more experience on the job. I'd go with an audiologist. If they turn out to be bad impressions they'll often redo them for you anyway.

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 15
You should educate yourself as much as is possible before you go.

Then you will know whether a mistake has been made.

Having said that, the mistake IMO, happens when a tech in a far away place is making them.

Just my opinion, Jim

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 15

You should educate yourself as much as is possible before you go.
Then you will know whether a mistake has been made.
Having said that, the mistake IMO, happens when a tech in a far away place is making them.
Just my opinion, Jim

So you think that when people say the Audiologist messed their impressions up, that they are wrong most of the time and that it was really the person making your earpieces out of your molds far away?

I read about a test someone did where they had a room full of people try to make their own impressions. Most were sub par. Audiologists have to practice making them then they get even more experience on the job. I'd go with an audiologist. If they turn out to be bad impressions they'll often redo them for you anyway.

That's nice . . . I think I will go with an audiologist then. One question though, how are you supposed to know if your impressions are deep enough in the ear or not? I'm sure that a more knowledgeable person than me would be able to tell the audiologist that they need to make the impressions deeper if the audiologist says something like "Ok, you're done" and the impressions really weren't deep enough in the ear yet.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
That's nice . . . I think I will go with an audiologist then. One question though, how are you supposed to know if your impressions are deep enough in the ear or not? I'm sure that a more knowledgeable person than me would be able to tell the audiologist that they need to make the impressions deeper if the audiologist says something like "Ok, you're done" and the impressions really weren't deep enough in the ear yet.

If your audiologist speaks English you can just tell them what you want :) I think most ciem companies also have a printout to give your audiologist. If you don't tell them you are getting in ear monitors then they will give you impressions for hearing aids which won't be as deep.

Another reason to go to an audiologist is they will give you a brief ear exam first. You might have some kind of physical problem like "surfer's ear" bone growth or something. Or you might just not have cleaned your ears enough. Good things to know before having impressions done.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Huh. So you think that when people say the Audiologist messed their impressions up, that they are wrong most of the time and that it was really the person making your earpieces out of your molds far away?

Start here: http://www.hearingreview.com/issues/articles/2006-04_01.asp

Take care, Jim

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
 (snip) they will give you impressions for hearing aids which won't be as deep.

Not true...

Hearing aid mold depth is more critical than IEM depth.

Look up occlusion effect.

Jim

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 15
Jul 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Huh. So you think that when people say the Audiologist messed their impressions up, that they are wrong most of the time and that it was really the person making your earpieces out of your molds far away?

You can pretty much feel it.. if you bring a paper with instructions from the manufacturer it'd make it a lot simpler. When they were putting in the cotton blocker, I could tell it was in way beyond what was normal (I generally clean my ears myself so I know it was way deeper than what I usually do). I'd say ask if they're familiar with doing impressions for musicians. If they seem like they don't know what you're talking about, don't go there.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 15
I know on at least one ciem website they had a list of recomended audiologists in just about every area in the US listed. I don't remember who's website it was, but if you find it and make some phone calls and find out if their used to doing this type of stuff I would probably go to them. This is of course if you are living in the US.

In terms of doing the impressions I get it professionally done, for all the reasons others have listed. And that when you start doing certain things it's more of an art that requires a lot of practice than just mere knowledge. So chances are they will be able to get a better impression than you can the first time.

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 15
  If your audiologist speaks English you can just tell them what you want :) I think most ciem companies also have a printout to give your audiologist. If you don't tell them you are getting in ear monitors then they will give you impressions for hearing aids which won't be as deep.

Another reason to go to an audiologist is they will give you a brief ear exam first. You might have some kind of physical problem like "surfer's ear" bone growth or something. Or you might just not have cleaned your ears enough. Good things to know before having impressions done.

That is true . . . 
  I know on at least one ciem website they had a list of recomended audiologists in just about every area in the US listed. I don't remember who's website it was, but if you find it and make some phone calls and find out if their used to doing this type of stuff I would probably go to them. This is of course if you are living in the US.

In terms of doing the impressions I get it professionally done, for all the reasons others have listed. And that when you start doing certain things it's more of an art that requires a lot of practice than just mere knowledge. So chances are they will be able to get a better impression than you can the first time.

You think anyone would have recommended audiologists for people in Alaska? 
tongue.gif

You can pretty much feel it.. if you bring a paper with instructions from the manufacturer it'd make it a lot simpler. When they were putting in the cotton blocker, I could tell it was in way beyond what was normal (I generally clean my ears myself so I know it was way deeper than what I usually do). I'd say ask if they're familiar with doing impressions for musicians. If they seem like they don't know what you're talking about, don't go there.

Hard to go wrong with that.

Thanks, that was helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back