How NOT to clean your Model M keybord
Oct 18, 2002 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
Well, my precious Model M was feeling a bit greasy and dirty, so I figured it needed a clean... Now my spacebar, B, /, and M keys don't work!

Thank goodness for Windows' on-screen keyoard... but does anyone know how to open a Model M? The screws are REALLY hard to get at, and too tight to turn with pliers.

Oct 18, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 12
the way i clean my keyboard is take 90% isopropyl and put it on a tissue/chem wipe and rub each of the keys down. cleans stuff off quite well. isopropyl works for almost everything.
biggrin.gif

no idea how to open a model m though, sorry.

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 12
Well, I had to use a drill to widen the holes so I could fit the 3/16" socket in there to unscrew the bolts...

...only to find that the keyswitch mechanism and membrane are held between the black-plastic 'deck' (which is molded in such a way as to be spillproof - even including slots on the bottom that dump liquid directly onto your desk and keep it away from the switching bits) and the solid steel backing plate. Unfortunately for me, the deck is held to the backing plate with about thirty different "rivets" - plastic that has been melted to 'mushroom' the head, VERY securely and permanently clamping the deck and backing plate together.

Well, my server is currently keyboardless, needless to say. And time to call up a friend who collects tons of vintage computer stuff...

Oct 18, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 12
How I did it:

Used a knife to pop out all the keys - cleaned them individually. (this took almost 2 hours) Let them dry under a strong lightbulb (took two days)

popped them back in (after having carefully cleaning everything that was accesible with a toothbrush and a vacuumcleaner. )

For a while a handful of buttons didn't work (they didn't even do the click sound)

Now it's perfect (but I wouldn't do it again - I think the board gets damaged)

Oct 18, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 12
I believe it - it really looks like it shouldn't be hurt by washing, but the fact remains that it's been almost 24hrs and the darn thing still doesn't work.

Oct 18, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 12
you guys clean your keyboards ?

What a concept , gotta trythat one day !

tongue.gif

edit ****notice the trythat was meant to be "try that" but the damn spacebar keeps sticking

very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 12
Hmmm, always been meaning to get an old Model M off of ebay. . .

Run a search on google. There are tons of websites devoted to that keyboard. I'm sure some have cleaning guides. Let me go look. . .

Oct 18, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 12
eric:

In that case you might want to check if the buttons still are wet on the backside. Try taking out one that doesn't work and blow with your mouth on the back of it. If it's not dry you'll feel small drops of water against your lips.

If it is still wet I'd pop it out and make sure it dries completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back