How much would YOU be willing to spend on high purity, stranded silver headphone/IEM cables?
Aug 10, 2012 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sonify

Aka: AudioSonus, edmondhsm.
Hi everyone 
redface.gif

As the thread title asks:

1. For a 4 ft long, 4 stranded (i.e. 4 conductor), high purity silver headphone or IEM cable with appropriate pins and connectors, how much money (in USD) would YOU be willing to spend?

Follow me on my quest to find cheap stranded silver cables here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/622286/pure-stranded-silver-headphone-iem-cables-for-under-100-usd-join-me-on-my-quest#post_8604408

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 16
Is it the price for a 8-feet, terminated, 4-conducter braided cable or 1 foot of stranded silver wire?

Tiny details, I know, but they might sway somebody...

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 16
Sorry I forgot to mention it. 4 ft long.
Quote:
How much ft?

Added to the original post. Thanks for the reminder!
Quote:
Is it the price for a 8-feet, terminated, 4-conducter braided cable or 1 foot of stranded silver wire?

Tiny details, I know, but they might sway somebody...

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
Sorry I forgot to mention it. 4 ft long.

Added to the original post. Thanks for the reminder!

Nice to know 
wink.gif

I'm actually looking for a VERY flexible stranded silver IEM cable at the moment... Let me know when you start shipping.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 16
Haha I'm just researching the costs at the moment.
As a student, I am sick of the extremely overpriced silver cables as most people cannot afford them, so I am here to see if I can find a source for cheap cables.

Details of my quest are here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/622286/pure-stranded-silver-headphone-iem-cables-for-under-100-usd-join-me-on-my-quest#post_8604408

Quote:
Nice to know 
wink.gif

I'm actually looking for a VERY flexible stranded silver IEM cable at the moment... Let me know when you start shipping.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 16
I'd be willing to spend whatever the current cost of high purity silver is, so any and all of those choices are good to me. however, I doubt the purity of a $20 silver cable, so I'd probably pass on it, unless the seller can show genuine documentation that's indeed pure. likewise, for cables over $120 I'd ask the seller if they have documentation on the purity of the cable advertised.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 16
I'll make sure I can find such documentation!
Quote:
I'd be willing to spend whatever the current cost of high purity silver is, so any and all of those choices are good to me. however, I doubt the purity of a $20 silver cable, so I'd probably pass on it, unless the seller can show genuine documentation that's indeed pure. likewise, for cables over $120 I'd ask the seller if they have documentation on the purity of the cable advertised.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
I'll make sure I can find such documentation!

good luck with that. unfortunately it's not standard practice, yet. especially for low cost cables, but doesn't harm asking for it.

also, what I'd be willing to spend depends on what the cables are being used with - I wouldn't spend $200 to recable a $50 headphones, unless the cables can be transferred to further components.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 16
Quite unfortunate for most cable buyers because who knows if the cables some businesses are selling are genuinely up to a particular purity (e.g. 5N = 99.999%, 6N = 99.9999%, 7N = 99.99999%).
I have read that anything claimed to be purer than 5N (i.e. 6N and 7N) are estimated purities rather than actual measured purities, so it could be possible that certificates of 6N and 7N also just estimates. Don't take my word on that though!

Quote:

good luck with that. unfortunately it's not standard practice, yet. especially for low cost cables, but doesn't harm asking for it.

also, what I'd be willing to spend depends on what the cables are being used with - I wouldn't spend $200 to recable a $50 headphones, unless the cables can be transferred to further components.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 16
A little bit of info for you.  Getting 24awg stranded PE insulated OCC silver manufactured costs about $10 per meter if you buy a large amount, ballpark figure.  By large amount, I mean about 2000-3000 meters.  So about 20-30 grand.  Occasionally you can find a place that will make only 500 meters of it but this is rare. This is why there aren't a huge number of cable outfits on headfi that have such a wire, it isn't an off the rack product.  The wire in the cable is worth maybe $50-100, but the sheer amount you have to buy at a time is on part with a nice new car, price wise.  So likely you are going to come up with nothing - your best bet if you want this is to get a Moon Silver Dragon, a TWAg V2, or a Toxic Cables Silver Poison.  

Edit:  The only way you will get a small amount is if you convince a company to make you a sample.  Essentially they need to think that the cost to them to start up the production line is worth it, that you're a serious potential client.  Most will not do this, but with the right connections it can be done.  Then you are looking at $1000-2000 depending on gauge and other factors for a 100 meter roll of it.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
A little bit of info for you.  Getting 24awg stranded PE insulated OCC silver manufactured costs about $10 per meter if you buy a large amount, ballpark figure.  By large amount, I mean about 2000-3000 meters.  So about 20-30 grand.  Occasionally you can find a place that will make only 500 meters of it but this is rare. This is why there aren't a huge number of cable outfits on headfi that have such a wire, it isn't an off the rack product.  The wire in the cable is worth maybe $50-100, but the sheer amount you have to buy at a time is on part with a nice new car, price wise.  So likely you are going to come up with nothing - your best bet if you want this is to get a Moon Silver Dragon, a TWAg V2, or a Toxic Cables Silver Poison.  

Edit:  The only way you will get a small amount is if you convince a company to make you a sample.  Essentially they need to think that the cost to them to start up the production line is worth it, that you're a serious potential client.  Most will not do this, but with the right connections it can be done.  Then you are looking at $1000-2000 depending on gauge and other factors for a 100 meter roll of it.

Couldn't agree with you more. It is not cheap at all!

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Aug 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 16
Right, honestly the cables out there right now with OCC stranded silver are a good deal and everyone should be happy to buy them at that price.  The companies offering them had to cough up huge sums of money to make it happen, and they did it all at great personal risk.  Basically what this thread is asking for is someone to put up the cash for this wire (because this wire does not exist off the rack) then assemble it for free; because that is what it would take to make this happen for the costs that they're asking for.  Overmolded connectors add on another $20-30 per cable, or $10 for ones that you install yourself, then whatever mini plug.  For an IEM cable with nice wire, the cost is essentially pushing $100 per cable all told.  Dropping down to 28awg would cut costs a lot, but a lot of people want a more substantial IEM cable, and most aftermarket cables have larger wire than 28awg for durability reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back