How much would SQ improve if...
Jan 13, 2008 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

verbaan

New Head-Fier
... I would buy a dedicated DAC instead of using the DAC in my Sony STR-DB940 reciever? And of course also which DAC should I get?

My current line up is:

Computer Realtek ALC889A (Foobar2K - bitperfect) -> Toslink -> Sony STR-DB940 -> Xindak AC-01 interconnects -> LD MKIII -> AKG K601

I love the sound of the Little Dot and the AKG and I'm thinking that the weak link in my current line up is the Sony. Which DAC chipset it uses I don't know (it is capable of DTS, DD and PCM 96KHz). However I've got the feeling that it misses some detail. Especially when I play music with large orchestra's it gets muddy and detail is missing. Would a dedicated DAC give me more detail?

I was thinking about getting a Beresford. I've seen some raving reports about it (Herandu seems very enthousiastic), but others have been less enthousiastic. How does the KECES DA-131 compare to the Beresford?

So which DAC should I get if:
  1. my budget is around 200 EURO (I'm nowhere near audiophile territory)
  2. portability is no issue
  3. no DIY or DIY tweaking
  4. Toslink input
  5. USB not needed
  6. S/PDIF Coaxial preferable
  7. and a headphone Amp is not needed?

Best regards,
Ruben

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 6
Just looking at the DACs between those two choices, they are leagues apart. The KECES DA-131 uses the Burr-Brown PCM1793, while the Beresford TC-7510 uses the Burr-Brown PCM1716. I'm not sure what op-amp(s) the TC-7510 uses for the output section, but the DA-131 uses OPA604s.

So, between the two, DA-131.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 6
I understand your point with regard to the chipsets used in the two DAC's. The PCM1793 is newer and appears to be in a higher class than the PCM1716 (which seems to be replaced by the PCM1780). In theory you're right.

But I'm sure there's much more to a DAC than just the chip. I'm wondering has anyone actually compared the Beresford TC-7510 to the KECES DA-131 in practice?
confused.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 6
You could also consider the much praised Zero DAC.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 6
The Beresford has the advantage of multiple inputs and is a bit easier to get here in Holland (the UK is part of the EU so no customs hassle etc.).

How much beter is the ZERO straight out of the box? Reading the forums I get the impression that the Beresford is pretty good out of the box. Not much tweaking needed. The Zhaolu needs tweaking and then surpasses the Beresford (Oritek mod). How good is the ZERO out of the box (after burn-in of course)? Is it that much beter (considering my line up)?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back