How much would a portable amp/usb dac improve soundquality on samsung GS3?
Jan 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fitz zer0

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I recently got my first pair of good headphones (westone 3's) and have really been enjoying the sound so far. Having never really had headphones capable of high quality sound, I've never had the need to buy amps/dacs, nor have i had the opportunity to listen to any dac/amp combo. I know that the dac/amp combo will bypass the internal dac on my phone and send the pure signal to the dac/amplifier in the usb amp/dac which will make it sound better, but my question is how much better would it actually sound? (especially since I know the w3's don't really need an amp). Will I see like a 2% increase in SQ? 5%? 10%? Also, would I be able to use the same dac/amp for my laptop? How is this increase in SQ accomplished (ie will it get clearer? warmer? better seperated? crisper? Or just get rid of the hiss?

Also, I have the North American version of the GS3 (no wolfson DAC), and my audio library is a mix of FLAC and mp3's.

Btw, my budget for a dac/amp would be <$200

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 10
Even a 150 dollar dac/amp can give ur music a good boost in sound quality. There will generally be better separation, imaging, soundstage, and detail. Whether u want a warmer sound or a crisper sound will very much depend on the dac/amp you choose, as every amp is different.

The benefit cant rly be put as a number to me.

And yes most will be compatible with a computer as well and is generally significantly better than the original soundcard.

Id suggest looking at ibasso or audioquest dragonfly. DF is a usb amp and dac that i believe can now work with fones via otg to female cable. The sound is very nice

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the feedback gulm. I was actually seriously looking at the Fiio E18. If you have heard it, would you mind telling me how it compared to other amp/dac's you have listened to? Do you think it would outperform the D42? the Fiio E17? Dragonfly?

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 10
The Amp/DAC combos I've tried so far ALL improve the SGS3 audio dramatically.

Matrix- Mini Portable
HRT Headstreamer
Fiio E17
Nova Tiny-M

Audition a few..If u can't read the reviews and get one u think you'll like. You won't be disappointed.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 10
Thank you dcfac73, I'm glad to hear from someone who has tried it out with the s3! Looks like I should just just take the plunge and order one. I'm leaning towards the  e18 right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back