How much will you spend on a DAC to match a $1k pair of active monitors with balanced inputs?
Jun 20, 2010 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

piesky

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I'm new here. I'd like to canvass opinion, esp. computer audiophiles on the above question as I step up my research on a suitable sound system for my desktop.

First, I've pretty much settled on a set of Sonodyne SMK100, after a couple of rounds auditioning various speakers such as the Adam A7, Dynaudio BM5A, Yamaha HS80M and several other brands in the same price range.

Never mind if you've never heard of Sonodyne, let's just assume it's in the same league as the speakers mentioned. Now, question is, how much will you spend on a balanced DAC to pair with them? It will very help if you can provide a % breakdown of your setup cost, say sound processing (DAC, preamp etc), speakers (active or include separate amp) and interconnects.

I am not looking for the best sound, just something well matched with the speakers I'll be buying. For example, spending $6k on a Weiss will be overkill imho, relative to speaker cost.

Thanks.

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 8
I was trying to search for more info on that Sonodyne but couldn't find a "SMK100". Did you mean the "SM 100 AK" instead? If it's that, it looks like the volume controls for the left and right channels are independent of each other, which is a huge PITA especially when it's almost essential to match both volume levels almost perfectly to each other.

FWIW, my dynaudio bm5As are being used with an audio gd c39 pre (820) and dac9mk3 (1100). It was a tough decision for me, because spending 800+ on a pre didn't make much sense to me then. But i realized i couldn't cheap out on a pre since everything in the chain matters. I'm biased, but if you can afford the space, i would heartily recommend the audio gd ref1/7 with their balanced preamps.

Otherwise, you could get a DAC with a digital volume control (w4s dac1/2 comes to mind). Sorry if i'm not giving you the answers you're looking for.. there's just too many things to consider and it really is a personal decision.

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Yes. These are the speakers I'm getting. I'm not so worried about the volume. It's not difficult to get them to sound right to the ear. 

I'm looking very closely at Audio-Gd equipment but I don't have enough space for multiple audio boxes. I'm looking for a compact DAC/pre but they're either 1) unbalanced or 2) horrifically expensive.

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm pairing my Adam A7s with an Accuphase DP57($5k) and Placette Audio remote volume control preamp ($1k). However, I bought my Adam A7s when I already owned the Accuphase hence the seemingly uneven distribution of money. Also, I bought all my gear used so they only cost a fraction of the original retail cost which should be what you're aiming for as well.

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Most people buying monitors at that class would probably want an RME Fireface (£800). A lot of them have probably settled for something a little cheaper from the Presonus, MOTU, Focusrite and TC Konnect ranges.

You might not want so many channels or options so you could probably manage very nicely with an E-MU 0404 or even a 0202. Brilliant specs for the price, excellent support, many happy users, Dynamic range > that of CD audio. what's not to like? There is absolutely no need to spend any more.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 8
I feel I should plug the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB just because the Emu is overrepresented on this board (see my profile for a review). Musiciansfriend also has the M-Audio Fast Track Pro on sale as the "stupid deal of the day" for another hour or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back