How much power is enough?
Feb 7, 2021 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Brother Bach

New Head-Fier
I have been using my Cambridge Audio DacMagic Azur for a week. I love it. I had read conflicting opinions on wether the unit had enough power to drive high impedance headphones. My AKG Q70 are said to be hard to drive. There are no markings but I can turn it the dial so that headphones are louder than my comfort zone without distortion. The estimated amount of rotation is around 12 o'clock with 3 o'clock becoming too loud.

I have seen the Drop THX AAA 789 reviewed on YouTube with three gain settings, where higher impedance headphones seem to come alive at a lower volume at the 3rd gain setting.

To get the most out of my headphones should I be adding an amplifier so that the headphone sound fills to my tolerable volume somewhere between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock? For example, on my Yamaha CA 2010, *on average*, a slight clockwise rotation to -48 dB is my maximum comfortable listening.

I am thinking, if I am well within the limits before hearing distortion, it does not matter how far I have to turn the volume knob to drive the headphones to my comfortable listening level because that power level is the same across amplifiers. Correct?

Thank you in advance for your time.

BB

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 3
Driving headphones and speakers is not just about loudness. There are headphones and speakers which can get more than loud enough but not sound nearly as good as they will when properly amped.

If you are happy with the sound quality of your gear, then stop and save money.

If not, there is usually some category of amplifier than can make it sound better or much better. THX amps are cheap and somewhat powerful but they are not a god match for certain types of cans. Distortion is far from the most important thing in listening enjoyment.

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I am new to listening with headphones. It is such a totally different experience that I have nothing to compare it to. Yes, I am happy with what I am hearing. I am actually hearing details I never heard through my speakers which are quite good.

BB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back