How Much Of A Difference...
Jul 22, 2007 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
... will I notice by going from the headamp on the E-Mu 0404 USB to a Darkvoice 336i (still using the 0404 as the DAC)?

The difference I noticed going from the output on my Audigy 4 to the 0404 was pretty substancial. Do you think I will get another step like that with upgrading to a nice tube amp? I would be buying moderately nice cables to go with it (Blue Jeans Cable or Signal Cable).

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 5
It will make a difference, but some of the sound difference will be due to the tube vs. solid state sound.

Different may not be always better.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 5
There will always be a difference as you're putting something in the signal path. How much of a difference is hard to say because it's very subjective. Some people experience big changes with different kinds of amplification while others don't (me for example).

The intial signal will remain the same, but as tbonner1 pointed out, the coloration of the tubes will affect the sound, probably moreso than a solid state amplifier.

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 5
Before even thinking about uprage to new amp, buy a new pair of headphones. If you buy a pair that is similarly priced as the darkvoice, they will make a much grater difference.

Jul 23, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by varro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before even thinking about uprage to new amp, buy a new pair of headphones. If you buy a pair that is similarly priced as the darkvoice, they will make a much grater difference.

I thought about doing this, but so many of the headphones in the $250-$350 range require something of an amp (more than my E-MU 0404 USB) to bring out their best. So I'd end up buying a nice, more expensive set of cans and still want to buy an amp on top of it.

I like the way my 595s sound and many people talk about how good they sound with a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back