How Much Music Do You All Own?
Jun 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #46 of 79
I have about 15 CD's

mhm

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #47 of 79
Honestly, I don't see the point of having 9,000 CD's. I guess if over your lifetime you collected those... but my 14 year old mind can't comprehend such things :D

Here's my relatively small collection (I thought it was big)

All of it is in 192kb because I honestly cannot tell the difference between FLAC and 192. Call me crazy. I've been in the mood for some trance and dnb lately, so I have alot of that in there.

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #48 of 79
Couple hundred CDs, 100 or so LPs, and about 121GBs of music (192kbps and up. Most of the music was from a computer with limited space so I ripped low. Just shy of 23,000 files.) from CDs I borrowed or sold. Plan on starting a reel to reel rig before I finish high school.

^^^ Hey, you have a lot more music than I had at 14 last year! My collection grew in a year when I decided to just listen to new music and not focus on the gear. I can imagine having 9000 CDs and over a thousand LPs, but I can't imagine where you'd put it all...

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #50 of 79

Quote:
Honestly, I don't see the point of having 9,000 CD's. I guess if over your lifetime you collected those... but my 14 year old mind can't comprehend such things :D

Plenty of time for that. I've been collecting for 35 years or so. My collection fills a 25 foot hallway floor to ceiling and overflows into my library. I keep finding incredible music I haven't heard yet. Music is an important part of my daily life.

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #53 of 79
Oh man, I've got close to 1,000 CDs, SACDs and DVD-As. I add a few more every week. I've got a couple hundred records, too, but haven't had much free time to add to the collection. I like to stalk junk stores and garage sales for music that I've never even heard of. One of these days, I'll go full hog and probably end up with a few thousand records, too.

Speaking of which, I'd also love to take the time to drink deeply at archive.org. Everything there is public domain and legal to download. I intend to take advatange of that.

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #55 of 79
A bit over 400 CD:s, about 30 LP:s (plan on buying more as I now have a working record player), about 30 albums in mp3 format (between 256 and 320 kbps) bought on the internet. *cough*.and.about.30GB.of.not.very.legal.music.*cough*. Well, I try to improve and I intend to buy the best of the not-very-legal albums on CD.

I like having a lot of CD:s, but lately I have spent more money on buying movie DVD:s.

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #56 of 79
I have approximately 500 SACDs (and a couple of DVD-As), 300 Western CDs, and 600+ Hong Kong pop CDs, about 300 Hong Kong pop cassettes, 200 or so vinyl records, and about 15 pre-recorded MiniDiscs.  Being a collector, particularly CDs, I sometimes have as many as 5 versions of the same title. 

** Links are to scans/photos of collection, but not everything has been scanned/photographed.  It's a huge undertaking to do such a project.  Also, many CD/SACD need to be re-scanned due to increased resolution of new scanner.**

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #57 of 79
I stopped counting a long time ago.  Somewhere around 5000 cds, a few hundred lps, a few hundred cassettes.  cds have no jewel cases since there isn't room for it.  Most of the cds in a custom built cabinet with 5 big drawers.  Most of the cds are boots which are my passion/obsession.  I used to scour swap meets and record stores in the day.  Also have 3 TB of live stuff in flac which is my storage medium of choice now since it takes less room.  Listening medium is iPod 160G(256+ aac) and 240G(alac).  And I don't have nearly as much as a few of my friends.  For us we don't really NEED any more music and have to limit our wants due to space.  Happy collecting!

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #58 of 79
^ ^ ^
It's posts like this that don't make me feel so bad. I have no idea how many CD's I have but it's probably well over 2000.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #60 of 79
I don't really know, last I counted some years ago I had 4,200 physical CDs, probably around 5,000 now (that's the 'official' stuff -- lots of CDrs of concerts from trading groups back in the day, too). And now a little more than a terabyte it mostly FLAC (also some other lossless formats; maybe about 20 songs on mp3).  It's actually too much to get to, and always more coming in. But for some of us this collecting thing is partially about BEING a library for all my friends. I just have a habit of doing family trees, or genealogies, of groupings of musicians.  For jazz in particular that gets you very far afield from whatever the "seed" record is. For a certain temperament of collector who will go, for one example, from an Art Blakey record to Nancarrow or Ligeti, on the one hand, and to various rock musicians on the other, covering every degree of separation in between.. well, you can go crazy collecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back