how much money do you spend on music?
Jun 13, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Continuing the Audi-value scale, somehwere between an loaded A4 and an A6 worth.

but is your gear worth more along the lines of...an A8? or a ferrari?
biggrin.gif

i'm most interested in what kind of proportions (to your listening system) that head-fiers spend for records, if that made sense. i think i explained it better earlier on ~_~

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm most interested in what kind of proportions (to your listening system) that head-fiers spend for records

Well then, to answer the question I'd say most years now I spend 3:1 in favour of music. But the thing is, when you amass a sizable collection you get to the point where it's stupid because when you think of exactly how much time you have to spend listening to the music (even if it's a lot)...... To put it as clearly as I can, if you have LOTS of albums you love already, you have to think your existing collection will take up 2/3rds of your listening time at least. Even if you have 10 hrs/day to listen, you're left with just over 3 per day for new stuff, or maybe 100 hrs per month. So if you're buying 15 records/month, you get to hear them 6 or 7 times before the get put into the statistically miniscule amount you listen to the rest of your collection. Kind of an oversimplification, but you get the idea that one can reach the point where spending tons on music isn't as ideal as it once was. Which is why I never feel guilty buying a superior version of a much-loved record that I already have.

Anyway, having said all that, all of my attempts to buy less music have been a complete joke thus far. Mainly b/c I just don't want to.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #23 of 41
If I were to put current values on both my setup and my music collection I would say that the value of the collection is probably 3 times the value of the equipment. I have the same problem as the previous poster with regards to being able to listen to my music and I dont want to end up like Kenn Kessler stating ín a recent edition of an english hifi mag that he has so much music in his racks that he has not yet heard that he probably wont hear it all by the end of his life. Allso I live in the real world were my wife puts down some rules so I am in a position were everytime I buy something new something old has to go. In the beginning this was reasonably easy to do as face it we all have things in our collections we never listen to, but it is getting harder and harder to live up to. I probably spend 100-200 USD per month and will soon have to renogaciate with the wife cause I cant find anymore to get rid off.

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
were my wife puts down some rules so I am in a position were everytime I buy something new something old has to go.

Boy, that's hard. I have a difficult time selling music. A clause might go into my pre-nup. Thanks for the warning!

The ratio is an intersting question. To me 1/1 in terms of total expenditures for music/gear is a good starting point. Of course, we're all different, but if someone is at a negative level for an extended period, perhaps they have misplaced the plot.

I'm at around 2/1 right now, with a couple purchases earmarked this summer, I better heed my own advice and keep an eye on my ratios.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boy, that's hard. I have a difficult time selling music. A clause might go into my pre-nup. Thanks for the warning!

For me this didn't occur until after 20+ years of marriage so that is not an option.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #26 of 41
I used to buy a CD a week, but have slowed down alot. Nowadays, I hit the record store every once in awhile, because I'm quite happy just listening to my own collection. Even when I go to the record store, I don't necessarily always buy something, but sometimes I'll go on binges, especially with the used cd sections!

I suppose you could call me a binge music shopper?

1 more post to 100!!!

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #27 of 41
Working overseas, I typically spend about $300 to $500 monthly, split up between books, videos, and music. Recently most of it has been on XRCD and SACD remasters.

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #28 of 41
My music: gear ratio is probably around 5:1 which I feel is a lot lower than it should be. However, I'm happy with my gear right now so it should start to tilt an awful lot more in favour of music over the next while.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #29 of 41
Have no money, use parents CD's friends etc.. only own about 20 albums which were just so good I had to get them.

I have been listening to a lot of free music on the internet recently, a lot of rubbish but some good stuff in there as well.

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #30 of 41
Great thread!!! I could easily spend $1000 a month on music (if the budget and time to find the music was available). Right now, maybe $50 a month
frown.gif
. I hope that will change soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back