How much impedance can an iPod touch drive?
Jan 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vaibhav

New Head-Fier
I guess the title should be self explanatory, I have an iPod touch 4th gen and use the S4s as my daily IEMs. They have an impedance rating of 18 ohm. They are pretty terrible on my nokia which can't drive them properly. I would like to know what is the maximum impedance that an iPod touch can drive. I remember seeing a pair of HD428 that was rated at 32 ohm but said "for iPod, iPhone" on the packaging.
Thanks
normal_smile%20.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 6
I think it really depends on the headphones.  Apple includes the white ear buds and they are rated at 32ohms.  The impedance shouldn't be the only factor in finding good headphones for your ipod touch 4g.  From what I have heard/experienced( I briefly owned an ipod touch 4g), it really depends on the headphone sensitivity.  I had the Shure SCL5 which are rated at over 100ohms but the touch 4g can drive them no problem.  On the other hand, I found that the hd25 1-ii from sennheiser with an impedance of only 70ohms were more difficult to drive.  That is, the problem circles around how loud can your touch 4g drive a specific set of earphones.  I would definitely audition any headphones with the touch before buying them.  I think it is safe to say the maximum for a decent set of headphones is about 50ohms but this really depends on the sensitivity of the headphones.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 6
It is more about the headphone's sensitivity than impedance, in my opinion.  My touch 4G drives my DT1350's (80 ohm) pretty well.  The sound quality is better with a line out dock to my Pico Slim, but that is more about amp quality, not volume.  The touch 4G will drive the DT1350's to plenty loud volume - ear damaging in fact.  Still, the amp is just acceptable.  I use the Pico Slim because it has a more sensitive volume control, and it's a better sounding amp than the internal amp of the Touch 4G.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I think it really depends on the headphones.  Apple includes the white ear buds and they are rated at 32ohms.  The impedance shouldn't be the only factor in finding good headphones for your ipod touch 4g.  From what I have heard/experienced( I briefly owned an ipod touch 4g), it really depends on the headphone sensitivity.  I had the Shure SCL5 which are rated at over 100ohms but the touch 4g can drive them no problem.  On the other hand, I found that the hd25 1-ii from sennheiser with an impedance of only 70ohms were more difficult to drive.  That is, the problem circles around how loud can your touch 4g drive a specific set of earphones.  I would definitely audition any headphones with the touch before buying them.  I think it is safe to say the maximum for a decent set of headphones is about 50ohms but this really depends on the sensitivity of the headphones.

Quote:
It is more about the headphone's sensitivity than impedance, in my opinion.  My touch 4G drives my DT1350's (80 ohm) pretty well.  The sound quality is better with a line out dock to my Pico Slim, but that is more about amp quality, not volume.  The touch 4G will drive the DT1350's to plenty loud volume - ear damaging in fact.  Still, the amp is just acceptable.  I use the Pico Slim because it has a more sensitive volume control, and it's a better sounding amp than the internal amp of the Touch 4G.

thanks you so much to both of you :) that was helpful. I don't wanna buy a headphone and realize its not loud enough to listen to. I'll get that amp soon, should make the headphones better to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back