How much freq. do you hear? (20-20000)
Feb 8, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #31 of 67
I can barely hear 19khz, although at that point the sound is so faint that I can easily ignore it if I am not listening for it

edit: nvm, I just tried the test above and I guess I can "hear" 20khz, but honestly it's so faint I don't see how I could possibly identify it unless it is playing against a black background like in that test. can't really test 21/22 khz because my DAC is limited to 20-20, although I doubt I'd hear 21 or higher

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #32 of 67
I too can barely hear 19k. Tried the frequency sweep test and I could hear nothing at 21 khz and 20 khz. I am 26. Not bad considering I usually listen to music a little too loudly.
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #35 of 67
I can barely hear after 16khz, and im only 18
frown.gif

Just wondering, if you can't hear high frequencies like after 16khz, does that mean that you won't be able to appreciate the details in music as well? I mean how many instances of high freq pitches are present in an average song?

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #37 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by lazybum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Just wondering, if you can't hear high frequencies like after 16khz, does that mean that you won't be able to appreciate the details in music as well? I mean how many instances of high freq pitches are present in an average song?

You still hear the details, you just hear them a different way. If you were to isolate the 16khz+ info in music, to most people who can higher very high frequencies it would sound like the sizzle after a cymbal crash. The majority of what your ear perceives best and recognizes as music is below that. So you're not missing out on much. I can barely hear sound beyond 16, and usually only if it's attenuated. The way I look at it is this makes my ears more forgiving of mp3 compression, which has an up side.
atsmile.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #39 of 67
I'm stopping somewhere between 18khz and 19khz.. Not too bad, and I'm 20 years old and don't go to concerts often at all.. I -do- have a 16 year old sister who sometimes gets a little mouthy.

I blame her. =)

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #40 of 67
Observation 1: My Cat has unbelievable hearing. She can hear Cockroaches scream when I stamp on them.

Observation 2: She hates it when I try to put my Grado's on her.

Scientific conclusion: 1. My Cat has great hearing 2. She has no interest in music 3. It doesn't matter because Roaches haven't made any recordings. So what's the point?

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #41 of 67
I can't hear anything above the 18 Khz. I thought I heard 19, but I am not too sure.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #42 of 67
17700 with my grados
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #44 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by lazybum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

The vast majority of musical energy is below 5K, there are no fundamentals on piano or violin above 5K. Harmonics may extend to 50K or even 100K but they are very low in energy and not missed. I am 51 and my hearing stops at about 15K but it has never stopped my appreciation of music.

There were some experiments back in the late 70s (MURAOKA, YAMADA, AND YAMAZAKI, 1978) where music rich in high frequencies (above 20k) was played back on speakers which had a range to 35K and different low pass fillters were added to cut off the higher frequencies.

Only when the filter was set at 14K did some of the listeners reliably detect the low pass filter, at 16K nobody reliably detected it.

So relax !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back