How much does the power cable really do?
Apr 8, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #31 of 209
With my headphone amp/s, power cords make an appreciable difference. Going from a normal IEC cord to a good quality cable makes a very easily noticeable difference. On the DAC however the differences are subtle.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #32 of 209
just joining to the conversation after reading a little, are we talking about the power cord that goes from the electricity socket to the outboard power supply or the one that goes from the power suplly to the amp?

I don't have so much knowledge in scientiffic stuff like most of you guys,but my logic tells me that the later (from the PSU to the amp) is more significant... and my explanation is:
if the power supply is a kind of power conditioner,than as long as it gets the electricity from the wall socket than it shouldn't matter so much, but on the other hand, the cable that goes from the power supply to the amp can make a difference because the electricity in this case don't go through any kind of "cleaning/smoothing" like in the first case. so in order to keep the output power of the PSU clean,we need a good power cable connecting it to the amp.
is this have a point?

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #33 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and don't bother with the Signal Magic Power cord, it's just bulk wire in a techflex jacket with some Marinco connectors on it. Anybody can build one in about 10 minutes for less than half of what Signal charges.

In just about any cable or IC we use in audio, there is a company that makes a product from off-the-shelf components and sells it. Sometimes for enormous mark-ups.

Singling out Signal Cable seems a bit unfair. They are a company known for building and selling quality cables and interconnects for a reasonable price.

My first purchase from them was a pair of Silver resolution IC's. I bought them to find out for myself if the cable debate was real or not. From my findings it absolutely does make a difference to use a high quality IC. I posted as much in this forum. One of the members who responded told me to try a quality power cable as well.

So last week I ordered a Magic Power Cable. Yeah, I know, silly name but they have to call it something right? I received it yesterday. The thing is like a fire-hose compared to a drinking straw when beside my regular cord. The construction is obviously of good quality.

Then I warmed up my MKIVse for about 15 minutes, and listened to some Nora Jones, using the standard cord. Then I switched to the Signal Cable cord and played the same music.

Once again, I found out first-hand that power cables DO in fact make a difference. Some might even call my MKIVse a "cheap" amp, but I don't think $60 is a lot to spend on a power cord for a $400 amp.

So, what did I hear? The first thing I heard was better defined bass. It had more texture and detail. It's like my amp has a better ability to control the cone movement in my can's drivers (I was using my D7000's). I'm not that good at describing subtle differences in sound, so I'll say that overall the sound was "better" with the new cord. It just seemed more dynamic. Was it a lot better? No. Was is noticeably better? Yes.

Sure, if you already have an iron and solder and want to buy the components and pay the shipping (or gas to drive to buy them) and then spend your time constructing the cable, you can save yourself some dough.

But Signal Cable makes quality products at a reasonable price with as good of customer service as I've ever had. No, I'm not related to anyone that works there and I have nothing to gain by speaking up for them. These are just my opinions. Enjoy
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #34 of 209
I guess the issue is not if a different power cable or IC makes a change, most here are concerned about the mark ups. If you want to save the most/spend the least, build your own. If the dollar isn't such an issue, you can find differences in expensive and inexpensive wire. What's your comfort range?

The gear in question for a power cable upgrade is a low end amp. Could it benefit from a better power cord, probably would. Is it worth an investment vs say upgrading an amp, only you could say. Most of us would recommend upgrading gear vs wire as a better investment. Don't take the recommendation as a diss to your setup.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #35 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the issue is not if a different power cable or IC makes a change, most here are concerned about the mark ups. If you want to save the most/spend the least, build your own. If the dollar isn't such an issue, you can find differences in expensive and inexpensive wire. What's your comfort range?

The gear in question for a power cable upgrade is a low end amp. Could it benefit from a better power cord, probably would. Is it worth an investment vs say upgrading an amp, only you could say. Most of us would recommend upgrading gear vs wire as a better investment. Don't take the recommendation as a diss to your setup.

That's just dandy. Make blanket statements with the "most of us" remark to make it seem "factual".
Someone who can't hear the difference but wants to feel good about it while making the rest of us who do find differences (good or bad) in cables appear as fools makes such callous statements.

Now if you had said that a power cable would benefit an amp with a power supply design that doesn't have good PSRR I would be inclined to agree with you.
But that doesn't make the whole amp a lower end or second grade amp.
Even then this isn't a hard and fast rule.

While I don't subscribe to the spend more on the cables than you would spend on your child's birthday camp, I do believe a truly high end system will benefit from cables. Suffice it to say unlike you I will close with the usual YMMV and IMHO.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #36 of 209
A little DIY would help the OP more than just buying a cable with the amp he has or get a PS Audio Punch Power for about 50 bux. They rock compared to stock.
In some cases people who say cables don't make a difference have not spent the several hours getting to learn the sound of their rig. Don't go to meets or to their local Audio Store and really learn about cables. They don't care to learn the Metallurgy about the different metals, about the dielectric properties.
Sachu, we will be laughing about this during the next meet. Hey Sachu, I'm waiting for a good demonstration how cables don't make a difference, How a Power cable with copper wire and copper plugs sounds the same to a SPC cable with Rhodium ends. There are exceptions to the rule. But besides talking about it during one of the Seattle meets haven't really heard about them.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #37 of 209
I think you mistook my comments. I am a believer in wire and have done my own experiments to know they do make a difference. But for a $150 amp, I wouldn't spend much on better cables but save for a better amp. The "most of us" comment about saving for better equipment vs trying to trick out a budget amp is an assumption on my part, I'll withdraw the statement your honor.

IMO (unless specified otherwise)

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #38 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sachu, we will be laughing about this during the next meet. Hey Sachu, I'm waiting for a good demonstration how cables don't make a difference, How a Power cable with copper wire and copper plugs sounds the same to a SPC cable with Rhodium ends. There are exceptions to the rule. But besides talking about it during one of the Seattle meets haven't really heard about them.

Hey Gil,

I'd be very interested to run some tests with different type of plugs..so far, from what i've read the general consensus is that brass plugs are optimal while rhodium are supposedly known to make the music sound thin.
I am quite liking the new brass Leviton 8215 plugs i got for a song at 7$. Mainly they seem to make much better contact with the wall receptacle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you mistook my comments. I am a believer in wire and have done my own experiments to know they do make a difference. But for a $150 amp, I wouldn't spend much on better cables but save for a better amp. The "most of us" comment about saving for better equipment vs trying to trick out a budget amp is an assumption on my part, I'll withdraw the statement your honor.

IMO (unless specified otherwise)

No need to come off condescending there but i guess for some it is second nature.

In any case i do agree with you on one point. Spending about 10-15% of your audio budget is about as far as I would go on interconnects & power cables in an audio system.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #39 of 209
Hey Sachu. For me with all the cables I have made, found out a few things. Rhodium(plugs) with SPC cable are very clear, smooth, and detailed, tall soundstage. With some SS it may not compliment the SS sound. With tube gear it helps IMO some of the faults of tubes, especially if you have some really warm tubes. (I have Rhodium plugged Power cables, interconnects, fuses, tubes). With the SS gear I found that Gold plated plugs with copper cable works well because the Gold is very lush, laid back, and wide sound stage sounding. With tubes it may be a bit much. Could go on will all copper, brass, silver, cryo'd, quantum tunneling, too much in one for one post.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #41 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's just dandy. Make blanket statements with the "most of us" remark to make it seem "factual".
Someone who can't hear the difference but wants to feel good about it while making the rest of us who do find differences (good or bad) in cables appear as fools makes such callous statements.

Now if you had said that a power cable would benefit an amp with a power supply design that doesn't have good PSRR I would be inclined to agree with you.
But that doesn't make the whole amp a lower end or second grade amp.
Even then this isn't a hard and fast rule.

While I don't subscribe to the spend more on the cables than you would spend on your child's birthday camp, I do believe a truly high end system will benefit from cables. Suffice it to say unlike you I will close with the usual YMMV and IMHO.

I find it funny that I heard a difference with 20.00 Belkin RCA cables, but no difference with my Cardas headphone cable.. I'm beginning to believe there is something to it.. That cables can at least influence the sound.. Wether a cable can better the sound will always remain controversial. I use the Mother ZU PC cause I got it for 200.00..6FT.. I find it funny.. If you read the small print on the pamphlet that comes with it, ZU admits, it might not better the sound in your equipment.. Depends on many 'variables', etc.. Hell, at least they are being honest about it.. I have yet to do a sonic comparison.. But I bought a Panamax 5300 PC for 'cleaner; power.. I live in a 30 yr old mobile home with faulty wiring.. If I have too much going on.. The power goes out.. Retails for 500, but got it for 188 new.. I'd never pay 500 for a PC..

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #43 of 209
Audioquest used to be good back in the day. Now are are getting into more things like remastering old recordings.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #44 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it funny that I heard a difference with 20.00 Belkin RCA cables, but no difference with my Cardas headphone cable.. I'm beginning to believe there is something to it.. That cables can at least influence the sound.. Wether a cable can better the sound will always remain controversial. I use the Mother ZU PC cause I got it for 200.00..6FT.. I find it funny.. If you read the small print on the pamphlet that comes with it, ZU admits, it might not better the sound in your equipment.. Depends on many 'variables', etc.. Hell, at least they are being honest about it.. I have yet to do a sonic comparison.. But I bought a Panamax 5300 PC for 'cleaner; power.. I live in a 30 yr old mobile home with faulty wiring.. If I have too much going on.. The power goes out.. Retails for 500, but got it for 188 new.. I'd never pay 500 for a PC..

Different cables work differently in various systems. Despite that black sands violet was highly reviewed in the forum, I know someone who didn't think it was good when he had them.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #45 of 209
You wont hear differences in power cords until you fully burn them in, and because of the heavy gauge, this can take over 1000 hours.
wink.gif

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back