How much does " a small batch" equals to?
Aug 6, 2010 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

beamthegreat

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I know this may be a silly thing to ask but I really need your help right now. Im not a native english speaker so can anyone explain what the author mean by a "small batch" as describe in the sentence below?

[size=10pt] To remove the last bit of residue or stain on the hair (or to get color out immediately) make up a small batch of bleach mixture and add it to 2 tablespoons or so of shampoo in a cup.[/size]

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 5
It means the bleach and shampoo mixed together in the cup. You could rewrite that sentence to read, "To remove the last bit of residue on the hair mix bleach and 2 tablespoons of shampoo in a cup." Not sure how much bleach it means to add, but there you go!

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Hi,
I know this may be a silly thing to ask but I really need your help right now. Im not a native english speaker so can anyone explain what the author mean by a "small batch" as describe in the sentence below?

[size=10pt] To remove the last bit of residue or stain on the hair (or to get color out immediately) make up a small batch of bleach mixture and add it to 2 tablespoons or so of shampoo in a cup.[/size]

Thanks.

A batch is a group of something or a combination of things. I understand "batch" to be a normal amount of something. For instance if I wanted to make cocktails for 4 friends I would say mix a batch of cocktails for 4 friends. However if I wanted to lessen it I would say mix a small batch of cocktails for 4 friends--making a little less for the same 4 friends. So I would translate "a small batch of bleach mixture" as a little less than you would normally make to accomplish the task at hand. In other words, a slightly smaller (and weaker) amount of bleach mixture.

"Just bring a batch of CDs to the party." = Bring a selection of CDs  to keep the party going.
"Just bring a small batch of CDs to the party." = Don't bring a lot of CDs because other people are also bringing CDs to the party.

I hope this answers your question about batch.
And by the way, I am in admiration of people as yourself who can communicate very decently in a language that is not your own.

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 5
I would interpret this to mean about a cup

make up a small batch of bleach mixture [and add it to 2 tablespoons or so of shampoo] in a cup

1. 2 tablespoons of shampoo does not make a cup
2. adding 2 tablespoons of anything should not exceed the volume of the cup

although I would have said add 2 tablespoons or so of shampoo to it because obviously there is more bleach than shampoo. 

so make a cup of bleach then pour some(half?) of it into another cup then add 2 tbsp shampoo...

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back