How much does " a small batch" equals to?
Aug 6, 2010 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

beamthegreat

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I know this may be a silly thing to ask but I really need your help right now. Im not a native english speaker so can anyone explain what the author mean by a "small batch" as describe in the sentence below?

[size=10pt] To remove the last bit of residue or stain on the hair (or to get color out immediately) make up a small batch of bleach mixture and add it to 2 tablespoons or so of shampoo in a cup.[/size]

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 5

Paganini Alfredo

500+ Head-Fier
It means the bleach and shampoo mixed together in the cup. You could rewrite that sentence to read, "To remove the last bit of residue on the hair mix bleach and 2 tablespoons of shampoo in a cup." Not sure how much bleach it means to add, but there you go!

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 5

Clayton SF

Headphoneus Supremus

Quote:
Hi,
I know this may be a silly thing to ask but I really need your help right now. Im not a native english speaker so can anyone explain what the author mean by a "small batch" as describe in the sentence below?

[size=10pt] To remove the last bit of residue or stain on the hair (or to get color out immediately) make up a small batch of bleach mixture and add it to 2 tablespoons or so of shampoo in a cup.[/size]

Thanks.

A batch is a group of something or a combination of things. I understand "batch" to be a normal amount of something. For instance if I wanted to make cocktails for 4 friends I would say mix a batch of cocktails for 4 friends. However if I wanted to lessen it I would say mix a small batch of cocktails for 4 friends--making a little less for the same 4 friends. So I would translate "a small batch of bleach mixture" as a little less than you would normally make to accomplish the task at hand. In other words, a slightly smaller (and weaker) amount of bleach mixture.

"Just bring a batch of CDs to the party." = Bring a selection of CDs  to keep the party going.
"Just bring a small batch of CDs to the party." = Don't bring a lot of CDs because other people are also bringing CDs to the party.

I hope this answers your question about batch.
And by the way, I am in admiration of people as yourself who can communicate very decently in a language that is not your own.

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 5

SiriuslyCold

500+ Head-Fier
I would interpret this to mean about a cup

make up a small batch of bleach mixture [and add it to 2 tablespoons or so of shampoo] in a cup

1. 2 tablespoons of shampoo does not make a cup
2. adding 2 tablespoons of anything should not exceed the volume of the cup

although I would have said add 2 tablespoons or so of shampoo to it because obviously there is more bleach than shampoo. 

so make a cup of bleach then pour some(half?) of it into another cup then add 2 tbsp shampoo...

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread