How much does a DAC add?
Mar 7, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Musical Fidelity X-DAC.

It seems to work for connecting to a computer and feeding to analogue speakers.

But there is no digital output socket?
confused.gif

Is there a DAC which has a digital output socket of some sort?

Well a DAC takes a digital signal and converts it to analog.
There may be a unit that has a Passthrough etc...why do you need this?

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #17 of 36
Or just get a upgradeable Dac/Amp combo box.

You shouldn't use a DAC or Amp as a pass through, should go like this.

Some digital audio source(PC, Squeeze Box, ect ect) ----> USB/Spdif/Toslink ----> DAC Unit ----> Analog output ----> Amp ----> Headphones.

With a combo box life is made easier

Some digital audio source(PC, Squeeze Box, ect ect) ----> USB/Spdif/Toslink ----> Dac/Amp unit ----> Amplified Headphone output.

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well a DAC takes a digital signal and converts it to analog.
There may be a unit that has a Passthrough etc...why do you need this?

Naughtiness?
wink_face.gif

Then I can form the following indestructible and incredible hitherto unconceived numéro uno connection:

Macbook --> DAC --> Mini-Disc recording.

Huge significance, but ultimately, the best workflow I can think of for lots of reasons
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjikiran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or just get a upgradeable Dac/Amp combo box.

You shouldn't use a DAC or Amp as a pass through, should go like this.

Some digital audio source(PC, Squeeze Box, ect ect) ----> USB/Spdif/Toslink ----> DAC Unit ----> Analog output ----> Amp ----> Headphones.

With a combo box life is made easier

Some digital audio source(PC, Squeeze Box, ect ect) ----> USB/Spdif/Toslink ----> Dac/Amp unit ----> Amplified Headphone output.

Like the LD DAC_II? I think the DAC_II is perfect for people whom have 300 ohm phones, as it allows for future upgrades, but the buit-in amp is still cool. My only problem with it, is that there is too much power for my low impedance phones. But the DAC_II would be great for Senn people. Plus the DAC_II has an optical/toslink input, which means you can stream via optical from a macbook.

And I also agree with the previous post saying that a proper DAC is more important than an awesomely expensive amp.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #21 of 36
Wow that little tube amp is beautiful!

I have limited experience with DACs, but when I plugged my D2 Boa into my computer, there was a much bigger difference than when I amped my Zune. Although in some cases (my iron maiden specifically) it made a huge difference just amping the song. I don't know why it made suck a huge difference on some songs but make almost no difference on others.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by artforme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like the LD DAC_II? I think the DAC_II is perfect for people whom have 300 ohm phones, as it allows for future upgrades, but the buit-in amp is still cool. My only problem with it, is that there is too much power for my low impedance phones. But the DAC_II would be great for Senn people. Plus the DAC_II has an optical/toslink input, which means you can stream via optical from a macbook.

And I also agree with the previous post saying that a proper DAC is more important than an awesomely expensive amp.

There's currently a Little Dot DAC ll in the For Sale threads. I'd go for something like that or if you want more portable, the ibasso D4 dac/amp will do wonders for only $219 + shipping.

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, with a MacBook I highly suggest you go for an external DAC.
For one you then get a chance to buy a DAC of higher quality than the one built into the MacBook, with the added benefit of a proper line-out and not just a headphone out.

With an external DAC you of course need an external amplifier as well, or a unit combining both (DAC/Amp).

Mathis pretty much sums it all up.
Here is a very helpful link when you're looking for a dac.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/all...an-buy-197674/

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #24 of 36
Obviously some disagree, but I don't find my MacBook Pro to be particularly noisy, and I think the audible differences between competent DACs are very subtle. Simple solution? Try your new amp straight out of your MacBook. If it sounds good to you, you just saved the price of a DAC.

If you do find that you'd like a DAC, here's another controversial piece of advice: I think most of the incompetent (defined as coloring the sound instead of simply converting the data) DACs are audiophile separates that are attempting to warm or smooth or analog-ize the sound. Simple DACs integrated into consumer electronics often do the job better. Proceed with caution. Tone, character, and things like tubes, do not belong in digital to analog conversion. A DAC is not a tone control.

P

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by autonomous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The perfect dac will not change the sound at all. :wink:

Probably right.
But the case is that the DAC he currently use, meaning the one built into the MacBook, is not 'perfect'. The sound card do not even have a line-level output..

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #27 of 36
To answer the topic, DAC adds everything. In combination with a transport it's the source of music. I would rank it as the most important link in the equipment chain, right after speakers/headphones. There's no point in feeding rubbish to your amplifier.

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously some disagree, but I don't find my MacBook Pro to be particularly noisy, and I think the audible differences between competent DACs are very subtle. Simple solution? Try your new amp straight out of your MacBook. If it sounds good to you, you just saved the price of a DAC.

If you do find that you'd like a DAC, here's another controversial piece of advice: I think most of the incompetent (defined as coloring the sound instead of simply converting the data) DACs are audiophile separates that are attempting to warm or smooth or analog-ize the sound. Simple DACs integrated into consumer electronics often do the job better. Proceed with caution. Tone, character, and things like tubes, do not belong in digital to analog conversion. A DAC is not a tone control.

P

While I agree with you in principle, there are those that would argue that some DACs that color the sound are "better," but of course this is just a subjective description.

While they can argue all they want about that, I would just carefully argue it this way: I *personally* prefer as accurate of reproduction as possible in the DAC and amp portions of my audio chain, and I will leave the "coloration" up to signal processing before the source, the headphones themselves, and whatever other stuff I choose to believe in
k701smile.gif

You bring up a very good point, though, and it's definitely something for the OP to consider.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking into splurging for a full audio rig to really bring out my Sennheiser 650s, but I'm a bit on a budget. Not having to get a DAC would let me get a better amp, better sources, etc. So, I ask you, is it really necessary? How much does it change the sound?

I'd look at the Centrance Dacport - it is usb to headphone output. $400 plus a good usb cable and you will be very happy, and it is very portable as well.

you can get better sound, but it will take multiple boxes and waay more $$.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xitel DG2 - eBay

I'm a bit sllllllow! What does it do?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back