How much does a DAC add?
Mar 7, 2010 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Hipstergarabe

Head-Fier
I'm looking into splurging for a full audio rig to really bring out my Sennheiser 650s, but I'm a bit on a budget. Not having to get a DAC would let me get a better amp, better sources, etc. So, I ask you, is it really necessary? How much does it change the sound?

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking into splurging for a full audio rig to really bring out my Sennheiser 650s, but I'm a bit on a budget. Not having to get a DAC would let me get a better amp, better sources, etc. So, I ask you, is it really necessary? How much does it change the sound?

What's your set up now?

USG

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 36
It depends. Most laptops/lower end sound cards have terrible terrible line outs (almost every laptop I've ever listened to has unbearable audible noise). If that's the case, a DAC will do wonders for your sound. If however, you're on a high end audiophile-oriented soundcard already, then it probably won't make so much difference.

I would actually say DAC has more potential to give you better sound than the equivalent upgrade in an amp.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 36
What do I have? I'm kind of embarrassed - I have a pair of Sennheiser 650 hooked up to a Fiio E3 Amp. I've been kind of strapped for cash lately, so it's slightly less unforgivable. As for the future, however, I'm planning on getting a LittleDot MKIII amp within the month, so just imagine I have that instead of the $15 portable amp.

EDIT: My main source is a Macbook, btw. So, terrible generic line-out/soundcard.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 36
Err, then it's obvious you need to get a proper amp for them, before getting a dac. The LD MKIII's a great starter amp, but if you can, stretch your budget as much as possible - the 650s benefit from quality amplification A LOT and scale very well.

Just curious, what were you thinking.. pairing a hd650 with that crap they call fiio
confused.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 36
I at least half the time listen to analog sources, so my receiver provides all the amplification I need in that respect. Other than that, I had the $300, so I bought the headphones and put off the amp until later. It doesn't sound like complete crap, but it's not exactly great either. I'll be getting a proper amp in a matter of weeks, so I'm fine for right now.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do I have? I'm kind of embarrassed - I have a pair of Sennheiser 650 hooked up to a Fiio E3 Amp. I've been kind of strapped for cash lately, so it's slightly less unforgivable. As for the future, however, I'm planning on getting a LittleDot MKIII amp within the month, so just imagine I have that instead of the $15 portable amp.

EDIT: My main source is a Macbook, btw. So, terrible generic line-out/soundcard.

Does your Macbook have an optical out? If so, that's the way to go.

Another route is USB, but it becomes more expensive because I've found that I need a separate converter to go from USB to optical or coaxial, because none of the mid-range DACs with built in USB converters (like my Stello or Constantine) do an adequate job on their own.

USG

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does your Macbook have an optical out? If so, that's the way to go.

Even on optical out, you'd need a DAC to decode the optical signal. Either way, I'd definitely recommend getting at least a low-end dedicated DAC.

Basically, it doesn't matter how good of an amp you have (as long as it can drive your headphones at the volume you want), if the signal you are feeding your amp is already degraded (which it is if you're using the normal line out on your macbook). No amp can make a poor source sound good.

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 36
if i were you i would consider a uDAC... great value and i must say i really am glad i got the little guy! my k702's and ears thank me!

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #12 of 36
I would recommend you to buy both a headphone amp and a dac. I think such great phones as HD650 deserves decent source and amp. You could also look for a dac/amp combo.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #13 of 36
Yeah, with a MacBook I highly suggest you go for an external DAC.
For one you then get a chance to buy a DAC of higher quality than the one built into the MacBook, with the added benefit of a proper line-out and not just a headphone out.

With an external DAC you of course need an external amplifier as well, or a unit combining both (DAC/Amp).

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 36
I bought a Musical Fidelity X-DAC.

It seems to work for connecting to a computer and feeding to analogue speakers.

But there is no digital output socket?
confused.gif

Is there a DAC which has a digital output socket of some sort?

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a DAC which has a digital output socket of some sort?

something w/ a USB input and a S/PDIF output is a transport, it doesn't convert D to A
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back