How much do IEMs isolate? (compared to sticking your fingers into your ears?)
Dec 28, 2005 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Aryolkary

100+ Head-Fier
How much do IEMs isolate? (compared to sticking your fingers into your ears?)
Does it isolate more, as much, or half, or differently? I have zero experience with IEMs. Thanks

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 20
Differently because they isolate more.
Well - you asked
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbluewater
Differently because they isolate more.
Well - you asked
biggrin.gif

More? Hmmmm very very nice. Very.
Could it be possible to make a list - comparison?
100% being as much as fingers
Example (I'm making this up):
Shure E2c - 100%
Shure E3c - 130%
Etymotic ER6 - 135%
Etc. etc.
I repeat those are just examples made by someone who has zero experience with IEMs, don't take them into account.

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vehementi
IEMs isolate very well. Haven't you ever worn earplugs before? It's like that, but with music.

Nope really. Just the earplugs for swimming (both silicone and plastic). They were like sticking your fingers, but less, and gave me the sensation of being "submerged" (and everything getting slow).

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary
Nope really. Just the earplugs for swimming (both silicone and plastic). They were like sticking your fingers, but less, and gave me the sensation of being "submerged" (and everything getting slow).

thats pretty much what its like. The foam is a little more isolating than swimming plugs but you still get the same feeling of being "submerged". I can't stand this personaly and have never owned a pair of IEM's for that reason. If I were you, I'd buy a pair with a 30 day money back just in case.

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
thats pretty much what its like. The foam is a little more isolating than swimming plugs but you still get the same feeling of being "submerged". I can't stand this personaly and have never owned a pair of IEM's for that reason. If I were you, I'd buy a pair with a 30 day money back just in case.

Thanks. Well, buying with 30 day money back won't be an option. I am in Argentina. However I want them to isolate as much as possible. I'll be using them as earplugs also, not only for music (to me: closing my eyes and sticking my fingers into my ears when commuting, is instant oblivion)

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 20
There's an electric space heater right next to me, which is the sound of a desk fan blowing on low speed. With Etymotic ER-4 in (rubber tip), it goes down to a small whisper. Shoving my pinkies in my ears, the sound is completely gone. Thus, pinkies in ear > etymotic er-4 isolation.

Though, when music is playing throug the etys, consider yourself deaf to the outside (unless someone screams at you).

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by chych
There's an electric space heater right next to me, which is the sound of a desk fan blowing on low speed. With Etymotic ER-4 in (rubber tip), it goes down to a small whisper. Shoving my pinkies in my ears, the sound is completely gone. Thus, pinkies in ear > etymotic er-4 isolation.

Though, when music is playing throug the etys, consider yourself deaf to the outside (unless someone screams at you).

Thanks for the comparison. One question, if you set the volume to listen at home (with that heater on), is it loud enough for listening in the subway or the bus? Or that same volume isn't enough when being outside?

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 20
With my E3C's and the foamies on and the music volume on my iPod to about 25% I can't hear anything other than the music...I use them all the time when I cut the grass and it drowns out the lawn mower if that's a better illustration, although the volume needs to go up a bit.

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
I've almost got hit by a bus while wearing E4s. Twice.

Damn, what a silent bus!
tongue.gif

PS: twice by the same bus? Damn, that's one obsessed, silent, scary bus.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 20
I almost got hit by a pickup truck and a confused duck due to my e4gs.
The strange thing is that this was within 15 minutes.

Dec 28, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 20
Well that depends. Are your fingers tipped with foamies or tri-flange?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back