How much do I need to spend on a DAC?
Sep 14, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #18 of 23
Eh, buy used. The latest'n'greatest turns over every 12-18 months. You can find yourself on an endless upgrade treadmill if you constantly seek the newest bells and whistles. Most used ones are nicely depreciated and sound great. Get one of those and spend the rest on more music or better headphones.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #20 of 23
Stereopile loves to use that one from time to time  (could be compared with a DAC about 10 times more expensive)...That old fat guy* must get a kickback everytime another "pile" writer uses that phrase....

*(Roy Hall's pal
bigsmile_face.gif
).

IOW's I agree with you atothex...that statement is useless without loads (or piles...) of context.

Peete.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
Eh, buy used. The latest'n'greatest turns over every 12-18 months. You can find yourself on an endless upgrade treadmill if you constantly seek the newest bells and whistles. Most used ones are nicely depreciated and sound great. Get one of those and spend the rest on more music or better headphones.

hey, which models would you say are good buys now? say in the for sale forum?

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #22 of 23
Personally the DAC19 is worth every penny. It´s so good so I highly doubt I will be that impressed with their more expensive offerings. Law of diminishing returns kicks in at this level surely.
But it´s good bang for buck compared to my cheaper DACS in the Keces and soundcards if you are after something that sound analogue and real.

The digital sound can be enjoying in it´s own right though but it´s more of a second flavour for me.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #23 of 23

Quote:
Personally the DAC19 is worth every penny. It´s so good so I highly doubt I will be that impressed with their more expensive offerings. Law of diminishing returns kicks in at this level surely.
But it´s good bang for buck compared to my cheaper DACS in the Keces and soundcards if you are after something that sound analogue and real.

The digital sound can be enjoying in it´s own right though but it´s more of a second flavour for me.

Completely agree.  I've owned my 19DSP for several months now and I'm impressed every time I listen with it.  It provides such smoothness to music, without distorting or coloring it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back