How much difference will a DAC upgrade make?
Jan 13, 2009 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all, I currently have Senn HD 650's being amped by LD MK III. I like the sound but the weakest link in my system is definately my source, an ipod line out to the MK III. How much difference in sound would a source upgrade be if I went with something around the price range of a Zero or Beresford TC-7510? Night and day?

I'd like to use my computer as a source so if I go with an external DAC how big of a deal is upgrading my soundcard since the one I have is just a basic audio blaster?

Thanks

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 11
I saw your user-name and I thought an old friend was back. Sorry for being a troll!
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, I currently have Senn HD 650's being amped by LD MK III. I like the sound but the weakest link in my system is definately my source, an ipod line out to the MK III. How much difference in sound would a source upgrade be if I went with something around the price range of a Zero or Beresford TC-7510? Night and day?

I'd like to use my computer as a source so if I go with an external DAC how big of a deal is upgrading my soundcard since the one I have is just a basic audio blaster?

Thanks

I would definitely get a card such as the esi juli@ , even though the DAC will be providing the conversion. I mention the juli@ because it is well known, widely measured and pretty much internationally known/loved(and cheap!). Of course the obvious reason to upgrade the card(which one do you have now?) is to switch to something with the appropriate outputs for your external DAC. my Juli@ has SPDIF out which interfaces perfectly with my Mytek Stereo 96 DAC.

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 11
I have that setup. Before I tried it with my DAC (Keces DA-131) I used that line-out to rca cable.

Trust me, you're missing out on a lot. You aren't hearing the bass until you use a good DAC.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 11
It will most certainly be a very noticeable difference. Night and day maybe..
A great external DAC can turn a computer into a stunning source. Definitely worth it, imo!
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 11
I appreciate the feedback everyone. It's a shame it's so difficult to audition head fi equipment but I've done well by listening to opinions and reviews on this site. I'll comb the threads on DACs to see which should be my next buy.

As for the name, I just love Pink Floyd and the name was available so hopefully there isn't a similar named user around here that will get pissed.

Thanks all.

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 11
Depends how much money you wanna spend but DAC sound like a good and relatively inexpensive way to improve your setup. EMU USB sound card might be a good solution for you.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the name, I just love Pink Floyd and the name was available so hopefully there isn't a similar named user around here that will get pissed.

Well, not any longer.
biggrin.gif
At any rate, our two Fallen Angels seem to get along fine. So don't worry about it and welcome to Head-Fi!

A DAC would be a fine upgrade, but you might want to consider some standalone CD players and turntables, too. There are some excellent values and I think vinyl has much to offer. Maybe you're not interested now, but it is worth thinking about.

If you want to try out different gear, check the Meet Forum to see if there are any near you. Don't worry about being new - everyone is friendly and you'll get to hear a bunch of great equipment.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 11
I saw the thread starter and assumed that some major old thread had been bumped.

So Mike has now been completely removed from the head-fi database? His profile access and stuff got crippled after the big crash but the username still existed. I wonder if other usernames might get freed up on a related basis. The guys who have the usernames Doug and Douglas havent logged in let along posted in many years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back