How much diff do LODs make to iPod Touch?
Aug 20, 2008 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
I personally have no complaints about the iPod Touch's SQ, probably because I've got nothing with it to compare it. But the word on the (Head-Fi) street is that Touch SQ is sub-par. I've also heard that LODs improve the matter. But what's an LOD? Isn't that the thing you plug into the rectangular bit of the iPod and then into an amp? So basically, it's the amp that improves the matter, not the LOD? Could someone clarify on this for me? Thanks.

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 41
Yea its a line-outdock (plastic square thing with a male cable hangin out, or just a plastic square w/ female minijack), it implies that you are using an alternate (separate) amplifier with it. the LOD gets you a line-out level of audio, bypassing the itouch's amplifier. Lots of these crazy head-fiers will tell you the actual LOD quality makes "some difference" to SQ, but in reality if its sturdy and works, you'll get fine line-out audio. Its the amp you attach it to that matters.

If you're fine with the SQ, adding an extra amp makes the superslim ipod a bulky hassle, so no need. If you want great sound while sitting somewhere with your ipod (most likely where you arent distracted) then get a LOD and amp.

I swear, this forum is marketing gold for unneeded items.
o2smile.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 41
Something like this: the headphone out is amplified weakly on most devices. A line out allows you to bypass most of the circuitry and pass the signal to the external amp, so you get a cleaner signal.

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 41
An LOD = Line Out Dock. And when people mention an LOD they mean to a LOD cable hooked up to the Ipod dock to an amp for headphones.

The ipod dock is useful for connecting your ipod to either your car stereo or a seperate amplifier whether home or portable.

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 41
And wow I am a slow typer...

heh

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 41
They did. The LODs are used to connect the iPod to an amp. The SQ improvement comes from the amp. Some people think the LOD also contributes to the SQ increase, but that's controversial. As far as I know, you can't just use the LOD as go between the iPod and your headphones.

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 41
if you use LOD female connector you can to direct to headphones but the signal strength is either way high or way low dependabt on DAP!
As you are bypassing the amp you cannot change the volume on the player and you are left with a raw source requiring the use of secondary amp to control volume!
As for the contentious nature of differing LOD's offering different sound if you don't want to spend big check eBay if you do then ALO and qables both do great sounding high end (boutique) versions!
I for one think they sound different and I own 5 LOL

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 41
I have the 32gb Touch and the LOD does make a difference but this of course will depend on what amp you use. The sound out of the Touch's headphone is decent but not better than the other ipods out there. The output out of the LOD is better also when compared to the headphone out. Also keep in mind that using a portable amp with the touch will not be a 'night and day' difference.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, so you can use LODs just between the iPod and the headphones? And you're saying it does make a difference in sound, but we can't control the volume? Not even from the iPod?

You can, but there wouldn't be much of a point since you'd be unable to control the volume. The point of a line level signal is that it isn't amplified, and doesn't go through a volume potentiometer (volume control).

What headphones are you planning to use? The headphone out of the iTouch isn't bad, and any LOD and amp pairing you use will make a very small difference (especially compared to the improvement you'd get using the same money to upgrade your IEMs). I'd only recommend using an amp if you insist on using headphones that your iPod can't drive well.

I've had a few mid to high end portable amps, and with all of them I only ended up using them at home when I wanted to use some of my power hungry full sized headphones with my iPod. The difference in sound quality between using some of my good IEMs straight from an iPod versus through a LOD and a good amp is very small, and certainly not worth the trouble of carrying the amp around strapped to the thing.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 32gb Touch and the LOD does make a difference but this of course will depend on what amp you use. The sound out of the Touch's headphone is decent but not better than the other ipods out there. The output out of the LOD is better also when compared to the headphone out. Also keep in mind that using a portable amp with the touch will not be a 'night and day' difference.

is that true of the classic too, or is the touch's headphone out better than the classic?

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that true of the classic too, or is the touch's headphone out better than the classic?

I can't comment about the classic's headphone out since i don't own one. But i've read somewhere that made the comparison, you might try doing a search and see. But honestly i'm a little disappointed at the SQ of the ipod touch, so for ones that's looking for an ipod player with great SQ, look for a 5th gen ipod or better yet an iMod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back