How Much Debt?
Apr 16, 2007 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

Old Pa

Headphoneus Supremus
Since a principle attribute of this forum seems to be getting people to buy expensive kit they had never heard of before coming here, debt seems an obvious point of discussion. 'Fess up; how deep are you? Is it just headphones? My profile details my most obvious weaknesses . . .
blink.gif
This is the kind of thing you have to think about if you want to have a future. BTW, the last category is supposed to be more debt than any of the preceeding, not the early abandonment of hope.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: BTW, I'm in category #2.

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 75
While there IS a Mortgage Balance of around $200K, and a $110K second (due to recent metal roof and fire-resistant siding install), and a small balance remaining (months) on one of the three cars, what is in my retirement account from cashing out of my Union Job of over 30 years covers those sums many times over...But for the money transfers to end the paperwork, We are free and clear. Would be nice if the gov't would allow me to get it over with, but until I reach 62 1/2, it must be thus.

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be nice if the gov't would allow me to get it over with, but until I reach 62 1/2, it must be thus.

Those rotten pig-dogs.
mad.gif

Quote:

Free at last, free at last. I was taught as a child to pay as you go, except for your house.

House, education, necessary medicals; the list is best kept short.
Quote:

You should add student loans to the poll.

You know, I thought about that, as student loans have a definitely different taste than consumer credit. But this is a general poll, and in the end I just wound up raising the limits and assuming good comments like yours would be made.

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 75
The wife has a backlog of almost $30k in medical debt
I owe maybe $5k, but thats tied-up in litigation (was hit by car)

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 75
My wife and I have about $25,000 CDN of student loans combined. We also have $78,000 and change left on the mortgage...but I don't feel too pressured about that debt. I would like to clear the student loans asap...

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 75
Oops, meant to select "No Debt" but instead selected "Megabucks, free and clear" -_-;

Anyway, I think it's good to be a student and in a situation where I don't have debt. Well, so far anyway...

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 75
Almost everybody has some debt. It's not a good indicator of what I think you are looking for here. Rather than asking about debt, maybe it would be better to do a poll on net worth. You could change the entries to something like this:

1. greater than + $10M
2. + $1M to + $10M
3. + $100K to + 1M
4. $0 to + $100K
5. -$100K to $0
6. owes everything but soul
7. soul too!
evil_smiley.gif

To answer the poll as written, I'm in the missing range of >$50K and <$1M in debt. The mortgage makes up virtually all of this. The house is worth more than 2X the mortgage. This is why debt is not a useful indicator of someone's financial state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back