How much better s the Pico DAC than the EMU 1212m or th 0404?
Mar 23, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Pico DAC is not a passive device, its USB powered, which is a different thing entirely from being "passive"

furthermore, as its USB powered, that means (assuming you buy into this kind of thing religiously, I don't), the evil RFI gods from inside your computer will now come out and burn your house down through the Pico
wink.gif

I guess you are right that it is not exactly passive but it is much like the wire is what I was wanting to get at...Thanks for the clarification. No I don't think the RFI issue is that much of a deal with the Pico, at least not in my experience. I have not noticed any problem with my Pico to date.

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you are right that it is not exactly passive but it is much like the wire is what I was wanting to get at...Thanks for the clarification. No I don't think the RFI issue is that much of a deal with the Pico, at least not in my experience. I have not noticed any problem with my Pico to date.

I'm not saying RFI is a "real issue", I'm saying a lot of purists will cry a river over it being USB powered

glad you like your toys
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Pico DAC is not a passive device, its USB powered, which is a different thing entirely from being "passive"

furthermore, as its USB powered, that means (assuming you buy into this kind of thing religiously, I don't), the evil RFI gods from inside your computer will now come out and burn your house down through the Pico
wink.gif

Lmao! Thank you for that.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 30
Used in DAC only configuration paired with the same external amp, Pico stepping on toes of big brothers like Stello, Benchmark and Lavry. So it's safe to say that it's very solid mid-fi DAC. I'll try to post link to some reviews later.

EDIT: the promised link http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/com...inidac-291801/

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the effort Andrew_WOT!
and thanks everyone else,still hasn't decided because i have such a tiny budget,i can't go wrong here.

Just to stir a pot a little, here's Stello DA100 (non-Signature) www.hifi500.com. Try contacting their sale rep, they could give you an additional discount on it and you might work out more economical shipping carrier, like EMS or another USPS partner.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif
tongue.gif

Happy Birthday!!
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #28 of 30
??
It's not his birthday...

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happy Birthday!!
beerchug.gif

Que?

Its been 2 1/2 months since my birthday..

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #30 of 30
I used an emu 0404 for 5 years, virtually every day as my hifi source.
Something far better for roughly the same price is the ESI Juli@. I found the emu to be bright, always evident and present no matter what equipment I used.
The emu's patchmix drivers are nearly 30mb, esi's are about 200kb.
Not just that, but take your pick of direct rca/1/4inch connections without the hassle of finding a decent breakout cable.

The ESI is German I believe and damn it shows, instruments sound like instruments.

Personally, I'd stay away from USB dacs myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back