How much better is Apple lossless quality?
Sep 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #16 of 79
From want read from u guys until now is, that lossless doesn't increase the SQ significantly when used portably.
So it's not worth the additional space.

Am I right?

But in a quiet environment, do you notice the difference or do you really need high-end equipment to notice a significant change in SQ?  

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 79
Well if you just have 8 gigs you are better off with 256/320 aac. The difference isn't that big to justify the space it takes up. I used to use an 8 gig touch an I barely have enough space for none lossless track.

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #18 of 79
Imho on a quiet environment you'll notice the different when listening critically on high end systems. On the iPhone 3GS itself i could tell most of the time between mp3 320 and lossless but was unable to discern between aac 320 and lossless.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #19 of 79
At headfi, this will never be answered. People don't have the time, patience, or resources to conduct real comparisons with a goodly number of people. It isn't about quiet environments and high end systems - it's about matching volumes (something that can change in conversion and that is THE biggest factor in perceived SQ differences). Then, it's about testing those files as a listener, not as the tester, and seeing if you can tell one file from the other without your knowledge of the file being played.

Simply saying you can hear difference here at headfi means nothing because the parameters are incorrect from the start. If after all of the above (and I mean ALL), you can say yes or no to hearing differences - at least with some assurance that you know what you are talking about.

Quote:
From want read from u guys until now is, that lossless doesn't increase the SQ significantly when used portably.
So it's not worth the additional space.

Am I right?

But in a quiet environment, do you notice the difference or do you really need high-end equipment to notice a significant change in SQ?  

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #20 of 79
your question has been endlessly debated and often brings about heated arguments - your best bet is to simply do some blind testing yourself - put a few pair of songs on your ipod (lossless and vbr) then see if you can honestly distinguish between them - then decide if there is an audible difference if the extra space is justified

for the most part it is too subjective to your selection of music, headphones, source and listening environment - therefore no answer exists to your question but your own

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #25 of 79
You correct the output of each source (either the player) or the compressed file to match the volumes. Sometimes, transcoding or encoding using different encoders (even from the same CD) can result in different volumes on the same tracks. Even a minor difference can perceptually sound 'better'. Hydrogen Audio discusses this in detail - at Headfi, we just say 'lossless OMG!'

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #26 of 79

Yes, this is correct and flac files in some players do not sound as good as wav files.  

Quote:
You correct the output of each source (either the player) or the compressed file to match the volumes. Sometimes, transcoding or encoding using different encoders (even from the same CD) can result in different volumes on the same tracks. Even a minor difference can perceptually sound 'better'. Hydrogen Audio discusses this in detail - at Headfi, we just say 'lossless OMG!'

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #27 of 79
That means the use of different encoders, can dramatically influence the SQ?

Is there a "rule" in what way each encoder influences each music-genre or is it dependent on the Track itself?

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #29 of 79
Sorry,

I meant better than normal Apple SQ.

With that you mean iTunes Plus, right? AAC 256kbps VBR that is...

TheDreamthinker said:

Has somebody ever tested it scientifically?

I do not think so. At least I have not seen any public listening tests of iTunes Plus.
Apple Lossless is as the name say lossless, so not much to ABX there.

You now have the opportunity to be the first one out.
wink_face.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #30 of 79
Quote:
So it is all in the ears of the listener......

It's more than that. It's ears, the recording you are listening to (might not even go about 16kHz), the ability for the gear to reproduce higher frequencies (most does these days). After all that you have to be in an environment where you can actually listen. If you're unlucky you will be able to note the difference... if you are lucky start ripping everything at V0 or 320CBR and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back