how much better does balanced sound vs unbalanced?
Mar 2, 2019 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

leo5111

1000+ Head-Fier
how much better does balanced sound vs unbalanced? for instance a Astel&Kern Ak100II with a Cayin C5 with Lcd-XC will balanced sound alot better or just a little or what?

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 30
Balanced output usually have more power for driving harder to drive cans. Does it sound any better at the same volume? that's highly debatable. some people claim better dynamics, wider soundstage etc. Personally I didn't hear any difference in balanced/unbalanced output of AK300. But it also depends on the amplifier/DAP.
The nature of balanced output is to eliminate the noise for cleaner sound in really long cables. (this is the only proved benefit AFAIK)

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 30
Balanced is more about noise reduction than anything else. You can probably not tell the difference from a portable device but like @Arghavan said the balanced outputs are usually rated somewhat higher output level.

Mar 11, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 30
I just wish we have 'one' port standard so you don't to deal with multiple termination costing us extra and hassle.

Until recently, there were only RCA phono jacks and 6.3mm / 1/4 inch phone plugs for consumer audio, and XLR and Speakons for commercial and studio gear. Portable audio changed things a lot, and high-end gear often has balanced connections.

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 30
Higher power output. Difference in sound quality wise depends on the DAP/DAC/AMP.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 30
I heard and agree with this too. surprisingly I read somewhere that a&k do really well in SE to balanced improvements. I personally can hear a difference, it is small, but I enjoy it
I can hear from some gears too. With the correct implementation and design, it should make a difference :)

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 30
So you think the difference is just from higher Vrms output on the port? What about the difference in Signal to Noise Ratio, THD+N and Clock Jitter?

Not audible unless you're using a poor quality amp. SNR is typically well below the threshold of hearing on most amps, THD+N is much greater from headphones themselves and isn't audible in the levels seen on amps, and clock jitter also won't be audible.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 30
If you are not hearing any audible differences, I have no further argument but I do feel sharper imaging through balance output.
Yes, there is a sheer marketing aspect but tech spec cannot not be completely discredited.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #15 of 30
The only advantage in theory is reduced pickup of electrical noise. It helps for a portable device since the power output is low compared to desktop or rack equipment. But there is probably no audible difference in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back