How much better are Sennheiser HD598 compared to Sennheiser HD558
Mar 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 25
I'm a HD558 owner, but I believe the HD598 just does everything a little bit better.
The HD-558 & HD598 use the same driver, but the HD558 grills are about 1/3 covered (on the inside) with a black rubber tape.
I believe the black rubber tape on the HD558 makes the bass a little stronger, but takes away a little of the mids & highs.
This is my best guess
The HD558 and HD598 grills are also slightly different.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 25
Hehe I've had the 440s, returned those, had the 558s, returned those, had the 598s, and kept them.  The 558s and the 598s are pretty similar in sound.  The 558s have just a tad bit more bass and falls more in line with the dark sennheiser sound.  The 598s will have tighter bass with a bit more emphasis on mids and highs.  The difference is really subtle.  However the overall sound is better on the 598s even though it was quite hard for me to tell.  The 598s also are constructed differently.  The earpads are the same but the 598s headband has better padding.  The 558s also have a semi-tight vice grip whereas the 598s have a semi-loose grip.  Where comfort and sensitive ear drums are a big deal for me, there is no comparison to the shure 440s.  The 440s get an F for comfort since your ears will touch the hard phastic drivers and there is no cushion on the headband.  The sound is cold, analytical and ruthless and made my ears bleed.  598s get an A for comfort as well as easy on the ears music listening.

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 25
I've been considering these two, as well. Most reports I have read indicate a very subtle improvement in sound in the 598s, compared to the 558s. Is it $70 better? Right now, I can't find anyone who will discount either model substantially, so they're selling at list: $180 for the 558s, and $250 for the 598s. Unfortunately, nobody in my area carries them, so I'm forced to buy on reviews alone.

Beyond sound, I definitely prefer the look of the 558s. Additionally, I think I would prefer the velour/fabric head pad of the 558. In my experience, faux leather eventually ends up flaking off. Plus, I have a shaved head, so the 558 would seem to have a better sweat factor. None of these criteria would be enough offset a significant difference in sound, but if the difference is slight (or nearly unnoticeable, as some have indicated), they could tip the balance toward the 558s - especially once price is factored in.

Also, for those who have heard either model, along with the Denon AH-D2000, I'm interested in how they compare. My preferred genres are classical, some jazz, pop and classic rock.

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
I've been considering these two, as well. Most reports I have read indicate a very subtle improvement in sound in the 598s, compared to the 558s. Is it $70 better? Right now, I can't find anyone who will discount either model substantially, so they're selling at list: $180 for the 558s, and $250 for the 598s. Unfortunately, nobody in my area carries them, so I'm forced to buy on reviews alone.
Beyond sound, I definitely prefer the look of the 558s. Additionally, I think I would prefer the velour/fabric head pad of the 558. In my experience, faux leather eventually ends up flaking off. Plus, I have a shaved head, so the 558 would seem to have a better sweat factor. None of these criteria would be enough offset a significant difference in sound, but if the difference is slight (or nearly unnoticeable, as some have indicated), they could tip the balance toward the 558s - especially once price is factored in.
Also, for those who have heard either model, along with the Denon AH-D2000, I'm interested in how they compare. My preferred genres are classical, some jazz, pop and classic rock.

PurpleAngel basically nailed the description of the sound--although I have not modded my 558 and can't speak to that.

Although born deep into the 50's, I still have most of my own hair left.  With that context the the 558 is comfortable and the 598 is one of most comfortable headphones you can own.  When they were both available for under $200 (just months ago), it was a fairly easy choice to go with the 598.  Now it's more or less a toss-up, if you are a value buyer.  If you don't have a wall full of headphones and plan to keep them a long time, the 598 is probably worth it.

The closed and being discontinued D2000 is an entirely different flavor of ice cream.  It has great bass and sub bass without being a basshead can (although many basshead lites love them), but also has recessed mids (and good highs).  You'll probably enjoy it for classic rock, but not much for classical and jazz & maybe pop as well.  They are very good cans for what they do, but be sure they are what you want.

All three are relatively easy to drive.

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 25
Thanks, KG - very helpful response. I'm currently listening to the HD570, powering it off a Denon or Yamaha receiver. I enjoy the open sound, except for some odd tonality in the top end, so my goal was to find a more refined version of the same sound, preferably with a little more clarity - hence, my interest in the HD5X8 line. I threw in the Denon option just because I've read some good things about it, but I do understand it is quite a different thing.

Speaking of which, is the D2000 being discontinued? Head Room says it is on their product page, but B&H claims it is just temporarily out of stock, and they expect more in July. There have been rumors of a discontinuation before, but turned out to be just a temporary shortage. I was thinking this might be a similar situation.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

I've owned the 558 and now own the 598 + D2000. The D2000 and the Sennheisers are completely different in that the Denons mids are pretty laid back while the 5x8 line is just the opposite. Choose depending on your sound preference.

For the Sennheisers, personally, I'd take the 558 over the 598 if the price difference was a factor since the difference is very slight in sound. Comfort wise the 598 is definitely more comfortable but again, not by much + I also like the 558s color better.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 25
For the Sennheisers, personally, I'd take the 558 over the 598 if the price difference was a factor since the difference is very slight in sound.

Price is only a factor if I'm not getting better sound for the increased expenditure. I don't mind paying more to get more; I have cheaped out on other purchases in the past and always regretted it. Spending $70 more won't seem like much in the long run, if it gets me the better headphone. That said, I don't really want to pay more if all it's getting me are looks that approximate the interior of a luxury sedan - it's a headphone, not a car. :wink:

Right now, I've decided to stay mid-fi. I have a couple home-audio systems in my house, and it's nice just to be able to plug headphones into one of the receivers and enjoy the sound when I don't want to listen to speakers. That still gives me CD-quality with decent amplification. However, even though I'm willfully avoiding the higher-end stuff for the time being, I would still like the best within the range I'm choosing.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:
Thanks, KG - very helpful response. I'm currently listening to the HD570, powering it off a Denon or Yamaha receiver. I enjoy the open sound, except for some odd tonality in the top end, so my goal was to find a more refined version of the same sound, preferably with a little more clarity - hence, my interest in the HD5X8 line. I threw in the Denon option just because I've read some good things about it, but I do understand it is quite a different thing.
Speaking of which, is the D2000 being discontinued? Head Room says it is on their product page, but B&H claims it is just temporarily out of stock, and they expect more in July. There have been rumors of a discontinuation before, but turned out to be just a temporary shortage. I was thinking this might be a similar situation.

The entire line of Denon D2000, 5000 & 7000 (made by/through Fostex) are being discontinued.

If its in your budget, you might want to look upline to the HD 600 or 650.  My Yamaha Adventage receiver pushes these harder to drive than the HD 5xx line cans, but I don't know how your receivers will do with them.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 25
My Yamaha Adventage receiver pushes these harder to drive than the HD 5xx line cans, but I don't know how your receivers will do with them.

I don't either. Unfortunately, the manuals do not come with any specifications relating to the headphone jacks. I just know that both of them drive the HD570 just fine, which is 64 ohms and noted for being a little difficult. I can only presume they would both do great with a 5X8, but have no idea how they would fair with 300 ohm cans.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 25
I had a dilemma over the two a couple months ago, ended up getting the 558s because I couldn't hear any difference in between the two.The 598s were 150$ more, so it was an easy choice, but I am looking to upgrade to something in the 700$-900$ range.

I guess that it was a wise choice to take the 558s and save money for something much better than both of them.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 25
My Yamaha Adventage receiver pushes these harder to drive than the HD 5xx line cans, but I don't know how your receivers will do with them.

I just checked the impedance graphs of the HD598, HD600 and HD650. It's a pretty dramatic difference. I knew Senns typically have a spike at around 100 kHz, but I didn't realize the HD600 pushes 550 ohms at that frequency. I can't be certain my receivers couldn't handle the load of the 6X0 cans, but it seems to me they are the kind of headphones for which one really would want a properly matched amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back