How much better are ATH M50x compared to HD 439?
Feb 18, 2015 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sheza

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have a ~2 year old set of Sennheiser HD 439's. I think they are wonderful, sounding really good if I put them through an equaliser with a bit of a bass-boost setting (I listen to a lot of electronic music, I enjoy bass).

But I have to admit, the ATH M50x does look incredibly enticing, given how highly regarded they are for their price range (Around £100). But with my 439's sounding perfectly acceptable to me, I am wondering if anyone is able to provide me with a good comparison of the two headphones, or has any experience to show that the ATH M50x is definitely a step up from the HD 439s?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 4
  Hi there,

I have a ~2 year old set of Sennheiser HD 439's. I think they are wonderful, sounding really good if I put them through an equaliser with a bit of a bass-boost setting (I listen to a lot of electronic music, I enjoy bass).

But I have to admit, the ATH M50x does look incredibly enticing, given how highly regarded they are for their price range (Around £100). But with my 439's sounding perfectly acceptable to me, I am wondering if anyone is able to provide me with a good comparison of the two headphones, or has any experience to show that the ATH M50x is definitely a step up from the HD 439s?

Thanks in advance!

The HD439 offers good value for the price, but it doesn't give out all the details in the songs. Moving on from the HD439 (and HD448), sometimes it's like you're re-discovering the songs again.

I'm actually surprised that you praise the bass of the HD439. IMO the bass on the HD439 seriously lacks impact and depth. EQing will just make the HD439 sound more bloated.

On the other hand, the ATH will give you much better bass, in both quality and quantity. EQing the M50X will not hurt SQ like on the HD439, Contrary to popular belief, the M50X is not as bassy as Beats, so I can enjoy a few other genres on them as well.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 4
  The HD439 offers good value for the price, but it doesn't give out all the details in the songs. Moving on from the HD439 (and HD448), sometimes it's like you're re-discovering the songs again.

I'm actually surprised that you praise the bass of the HD439. IMO the bass on the HD439 seriously lacks impact and depth. EQing will just make the HD439 sound more bloated.

On the other hand, the ATH will give you much better bass, in both quality and quantity. EQing the M50X will not hurt SQ like on the HD439, Contrary to popular belief, the M50X is not as bassy as Beats, so I can enjoy a few other genres on them as well.

Thank you very much for your response. It's probably because I haven't heard any better that I think the bass on a 439, when EQ'd, is good. It's terrible when it's flat though.

I'm pleased to hear that the M50X will be an improvement!
  M50X make the HD 439 sound distant, lifeless and impactless. For electronic music I think the M50x is a huge upgrade both in detail and overall resolution.

That's very pleasing to hear, thank you for your response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back