How much are your "perfect" headphones?
Dec 22, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 38
I wonder how different this poll would look if everyone voting had access to every headphone in every price range. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 38
$7.11
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #18 of 38
HD800, I hesitated a long time with w1000x.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #21 of 38
Sony MRD-V6 is my current "perfect" headphone: effortless to drive; comfortable; good isolation from external noise; sturdy; and I've yet to find a type of music that it doesn't handle adequately.  I know this headphone is a very old warhorse and, for many folks, doesn't even approach the lowest criteria for "audiophile" equipment.  However, on my limited budget and in my noisy environment, it always makes me smile - and it always quickly disappears and eliminates any perception of anything interceding between me and the music.  Ahhhhhhhh, yes .  . .

Keep listening and keep smilin',
Kev

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #22 of 38
I didn't vote because the $299 I paid back on 12-24-93 for my Senn HD-580s would skew things given the difference in the value of the dollar over that many years.  Plus I've repaired and upgraded the set to the tune of over $120 since.   The fact that they're still my "go to" standard answers the rest of your opening query. :)

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #23 of 38
$79,95. Altec Lansing Backbeat 326's. Though I did get them for $20, that was their MSRP. Aside from that, they're the one headphone I never get sick of using. Nice isolation, wearing the cable over the ear cuts out ~90% of the microphonics, and it's got the aggressive midrange I like. Since I can't get them anymore, I'm leaning towards Westone UM1 (Corsa's probably) for my next IEM. If I'm lucky, a Klipsch Custom 2 or 3?

Plus I've generally treated them like crap and they usually hold up. Last one broke because I basically ran the thing over.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #24 of 38

Quote:
I didn't vote because the $299 I paid back on 12-24-93 for my Senn HD-580s would skew things given the difference in the value of the dollar over that many years.  Plus I've repaired and upgraded the set to the tune of over $120 since.   The fact that they're still my "go to" standard answers the rest of your opening query. :)

Perhaps, the price somebody else would have to pay now if he wanted to buy the HD580s and everything needed to mod them to be exactly like yours. Just the rough costs.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #25 of 38
I don't think I can really answer the poll. I have a variety of headphones that are almost all in different price ranges that I am very happy with. I could live with any of them really tbh if I had to choose one. I'm quite happy with my T50RP, HE300, HE500 and Magnums (well when I get them back).

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #26 of 38
The closest I've gotten to "perfect" is the HE500 I had on loan, which is $700. From the impressions I've read of other headphones in this bracket, I can't imagine any others would be as well rounded as the HE500. The only thing stopping me from selling everything I have and getting a pair is the nagging voice that tells me I need to try a Fostex T50V1 or a variant of it before settling down. The fact that I don't own a pair probably invalidates my vote, but it shows that as much as I'd like to be a bargain hunter, I'm never really satisfied by cheaper vintage stuff, which sucks.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #27 of 38

Quote:
The closest I've gotten to "perfect" is the HE500 I had on loan, which is $700. From the impressions I've read of other headphones in this bracket, I can't imagine any others would be as well rounded as the HE500. The only thing stopping me from selling everything I have and getting a pair is the nagging voice that tells me I need to try a Fostex T50V1 or a variant of it before settling down. The fact that I don't own a pair probably invalidates my vote, but it shows that as much as I'd like to be a bargain hunter, I'm never really satisfied by cheaper vintage stuff, which sucks.

I've tried some of other peoples modded variants including woodied ones (except the real thunderpants) and I can tell you they aren't that impressive.  Sure for the price you pay they sound good but no where near as good as the HE-500.  I could be wrong for the properly modded ones.

Even though I put down 1200 for my HE-6, technically the best thing I've heard is the SR-009, pretty much every thing is perfect except for the weird bass.  Although the bass is very good in all technical aspects, it still sounds like thumping on a cardboard box.  But for what I own, HE-6 is "perfect".

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #28 of 38
For me its got to be a dbel84 modded YH-100. Beautiful treble and midrange and really fast footed bass. That I managed to find one for $250 + shipping to India made this a freaking steal !!! Tried the Thunderpants as well but I prefer the more revealing YH-100s.

Only problem is that its 20 years old and heavy ! Need to take good care to ensure it lasts a few decades more. Keeping my HD650 around only because they are comfy and have a very smooth non fatiguing sound that I like to hear when I just want to relax.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #30 of 38
I broke the rules and voted like I wanted to vote.

I haven't even tried them, but I just want to give the LCD2s a whirl

I would probably purchase them blindly and take a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back