How many types of DT-770???
Jun 22, 2007 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Andrew Jones

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've just canceled my order for a pair of Denon D2000s because there doesn't seem to be any supply in the UK and I'm fed up of waiting
rolleyes.gif
. I'm looking for an alternative pair of closed 'phones and the DT-770 looks a good bet, except there appear to be a multitude of models out there: DT770, DT770 Premium (the 250 version of these are mentioned on Beyer's UK website) and DT770 PRO. There are also 80 and 250 ohm versions, which is a difference I can cope with! Are the Premium & Pro models the same thing? The Pros are usually quite a bit less expensive, so I assume there's a difference. If so, anyone know what it might be?

Edit: I think the DT770 and DT770 Premium are the 2006 model (all 250 ohm), so doe that make the DT770 PRO an older model? This seems available in 80 and 250 ohm - does that make sense?

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 2
re Denon D2000 vs Beyer Dt770 are to me (I own both) not comparable. To me the Denons are better suited to rock/pop, and the Beyer lineup is more classical/jazz. As a closed headphone, the Denons do not isolate the listener from the outside world as much as the Beyers (and I have "long-suspected" the Denons would be better manufactured as open cans [Larry of Headphile now supports that position]). More specific to your statements - I bought my Denon on eBay from a regular-stocking vendor from Japan. No problems here in the USA with the transaction. PriceJapan.com also has a good reputation.
Choices re dt770 - if you can find a pair - I particularly prefer versions with the dt770/32 drivers (Jan Meier was stocking them but no longer lists them on website - you could ask him). I got a pair of these drivers and used them as a basis for my favorite pair of Darthbeyers. Your second choice should be the 80 ohm version. BTW - there has been no such Beyer dt770, 880, or 990. In recent times Beyer has only manufactured the 2003, then the current 2005 for the above-mentioned models. Anyone who quotes stocking a 2006 model of them is using an appellation of their own invention. BTW Pro vs. Consumer versions - the Pro has coiled cable and headband is sent from the factory as a tighter fit (easily bendable by owner). Unless you really like the coiled cable (always tangles for me), I'd suggest you stick with the consumer version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back