How Many Times is Enough?
Aug 15, 2002 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

j-curve

100+ Head-Fier
Isn't there a limit to how many times you want to hear a piece of music? For some reason I was thinking of the New World Symphony today - now that's one hell of a good brass blast and almost guaranteed a standing ovation for any orchestra willing to let it rip. If anyone offered me a concert ticket to hear it I'd be there in a flash but I just wouldn't seek one out. Same goes for the CD. It's kind of a "been there, done that" feeling. I was trying to figure out how many times I've heard it and it could only be 10-15 times.

Back when I was a maniacal motorbike hoon there was a magic stretch of road about a four hour round trip away. But over the years on various machines I probably only went there about 15 times. A coincidence perhaps.

Aug 15, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 11
I've wondered about the same thing. Just what is happening in my head that makes me so enthusiastic over a song or a singer at one point in time, but after listening to it a few times, I'm feeling that I just don't want to hear it anymore? This sort of thing happens in many other areas of life, though. I think it's just human nature to be enthusiastically impressed by certain things, and then to quickly tire of them, especially after they become familiar, and move on to the next entrancing thing. Keeps us from getting stagnent. Hmmm...I wonder if there's a difference between the sexes in this?

Aug 15, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 11
The old addage "Variety is the spice of life" seems to apply here. Almost anything becomes boring and commanplace if we do not try new things. I often think that that is why so many fail in diets. They are forced to eat the same thing over and over again finally having enough the go off of it.

I do have CDs that I listen to again and again but in a rotation.

Aug 16, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 11
I find that I will listen to a particular artist for several weeks then grow tired of them and go on to someone else. I am not so sure that this happens in other areas of my life. I have been eating balogna sandwiches when I get off work at the far terminal for almost 4 years now. It took a few months to get the combination just right of bread style and lettuce amount, but since I got it set it hasn't waivered. I've driven the same pickup for 22 years, I have 2 cars that I've had for over 10 years. Then again the wife I have now is the first to last over 6 years, and my first computer has just been replaced after 2 years. Computers are cheaper than wives.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm like that with movies, but definitely not with music. There is no "enough".

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 11
I've seen Star Wars probably 10-15 times. I must have seen Empire Strikes Back more than 50 times. I've seen Return of the Jedi 5 times or so and I've seen Episode 1 once.

So um, yeah. Quality matters.

I have recordings I've heard a hundred times that I still notice new things in from time to time and even when I don't the familiarity is often a "home" to me.

But the trick is quality.

Other recordings are... well, a little on the gimmicky side, to me. I admit it, the first time I heard the song about doing it like they do on the Discovery Channel, I laughed. But I didn't buy the CD.

Aug 23, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 11
When i was in high school i was on some deniro fix...i must've watched Taxi Driver a hundred times.

Everytime i read a book or watch a movie, i feel like i'm getting more insight into it than i did the previous time.

Oliver Stone's JFK also invoked the same feeling, i must've watched it dozens of times.

Aug 23, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 11
huh. With me, I sometimes listen to a particular CD OVER and OVER again. After a while, I get bored of it, and I move on. The, the first cd get's listened to after a while, and it keeps on going around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 11
ever listen to an album a zillion times and then get tired of it and put it on a shelf.. then like a year later, go "wow, i used to LOVE this album!" and throw it on and go "whoooaaa.."? well that's a good thing and i certainly enjoy doing that from time to time.

oh, and i own a whole lot of dvds and watch them all over and over and over..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back