How Many Times Have Your LCD3 Headphones Been Returned to Audeze for Servicing (RMA)?
Sep 11, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #541 of 560
My LCD-3 just failed, very low usage (I have a nice pair of speakers, so my headphone doesn't get much attention). I bought them back in 2014 and yesterday one side failed. I contacted Audeze, and like others have reported they want $580 USD + Shipping to get them fixed. They claim that this "rarely" happens. While I have read about the failure, I wasn't expecting mine to fail, since I have barely used them (max 50 hours I would say over the years).

My question, have they really fixed the issue or are they still failing? I'm kind of hesitating putting so much money on something if it's likely to fail again down the line. I kinda regret selling my T1 to buy those back in the days.
If anything I think that drivers fail more if they are not frequently used. Mine is also an 2014 pair and they failed somewhere in 2016/7 I think, and I was still within warranty so I was lucky. So far with the new drivers it's been good. I believe that nowadays it is really rare for Audeze drivers to fail. I think the turning point was somewhere in 2016.

Sep 11, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #542 of 560
If anything I think that drivers fail more if they are not frequently used. Mine is also an 2014 pair and they failed somewhere in 2016/7 I think, and I was still within warranty so I was lucky. So far with the new drivers it's been good. I believe that nowadays it is really rare for Audeze drivers to fail. I think the turning point was somewhere in 2016.
I'm skeptical that you could DAMAGE your LCD-3 by storage.

I believe this is a QC issue. The bad batches of drivers were shipped to the customers. Sooner or later, they will fail. Very bad business practice.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #543 of 560
I'm not sure if it's QC, I think it was poorly designed and they redesigned them in 2016 (or around) from what people are reporting. Instead of recalling the defective unit, they extended the warranty to 3 years. It's great for those who were using them a lot, some got multiple exchanges even. But for light users like me, then we are left to foot the bill for their mistake. I contacted the support, tried to argue, but they won't move, I need to pay shipping + $580. I don't feel like giving them any money at this point, I will see if I can get them fix locally or I might end up trashing them and moving on to something better.

Jun 7, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #544 of 560
My LCD-3 right side driver just dead.. I purchased in 2014, which is the non-fazor version.. Same as others, I got quoted $580 to replace plus $95 to upgrade to the new headband too. I guess I have to swallow the cost since I will just be throwing it away if I don’t repair.. Seeing the thread is quiet in these past few years with all driver failure related to 2016 and prior products, hope the replaced unit will last a long time..

Jun 7, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #545 of 560
Personally, I'll cut the cost and run away...fix this time doesn't guarantee the drivers will be working after the 3-yr replacement warranty period. The cycle could be going forever!

I have LCD-3 that keeps having dead-driver issue, more than all my fingers can count. One time Audeze said due to corrosion so doesnt seem to relate the 'phones being used or not. So far, Audeze fixed for free and I'm in SoCal so not too much issue of sending in the 'phones. I'm not going to cough up $600+ to fix a problem that I know will keep happening. It sucks, it hurts, but gotta cut-n-run. I'm not going to get another Audeze 'phones again. The services are great and the sound is great, but can't trust the products...not gonna keep dumping money into a money pit.

Jun 7, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #546 of 560
2 times…F

Jun 7, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #547 of 560
Personally, I'll cut the cost and run away...fix this time doesn't guarantee the drivers will be working after the 3-yr replacement warranty period. The cycle could be going forever!

I have LCD-3 that keeps having dead-driver issue, more than all my fingers can count. One time Audeze said due to corrosion so doesnt seem to relate the 'phones being used or not. So far, Audeze fixed for free and I'm in SoCal so not too much issue of sending in the 'phones. I'm not going to cough up $600+ to fix a problem that I know will keep happening. It sucks, it hurts, but gotta cut-n-run. I'm not going to get another Audeze 'phones again. The services are great and the sound is great, but can't trust the products...not gonna keep dumping money into a money pit.
Seems your last repair was 2019? Is it still going strong? You are reaching the end of warranty period soon. Hehe. One more thing, the unit that you replaced in 2019 was from which year? Read from couple place saying they revamped their production unit in 2016, thus most of those units that have problems are prior to 2016. Haven’t heard of any driver issues from units post 2016, based on my preliminary research…

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #548 of 560
haha...I don't even remember when I last sent 'em in. I'm about to check with Audeze account to see when was the last time (hmm...they seemed to deleted my account off their site). Got at least one replacement after 2016...doesn't seem to make a diff. though. I'm not buying that they've corrected the problem.

In fact, I am listening to the repaired LCD3 now. I do like the dark sound of it. Got a few 'brighter'-sounded cans -- Utopia, S800, Stax 007/009 -- but keeping come back to the LCD3. Its bass/treble balance is just right!

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #549 of 560
haha...I don't even remember when I last sent 'em in. I'm about to check with Audeze account to see when was the last time (hmm...they seemed to deleted my account off their site). Got at least one replacement after 2016...doesn't seem to make a diff. though. I'm not buying that they've corrected the problem.

In fact, I am listening to the repaired LCD3 now. I do like the dark sound of it. Got a few 'brighter'-sounded cans -- Utopia, S800, Stax 007/009 -- but keeping come back to the LCD3. Its bass/treble balance is just right!
Keep coming back to LCD3.. So it might worth going it a second try.. unfortunately I’m located outside of US, so I have additional cost for shipping..

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #553 of 560
Took 3 months for my LCD-3. So YMMV

Nov 14, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #555 of 560
How long it took that they respond after arrive of the headphones?
About a week to get the first response and 3 months for driver swap…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back