How many songs do you have in your music library?
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #408 of 615
So saying that you hear no difference whatsoever, that they sound exactly the same, is invalid because you didn't say specifically what you didn't hear? Logical fallacy if I've ever heard one.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #409 of 615
Quote:

since you didn't specify what "difference" it doesn't make, wasapi does things.

A brief description of WASAPI from foobar2000's website:

"Adds Windows Audio Session API exclusive mode output support, allowing bit-exact output and muting all other sounds."

It doesn't provide an audible difference necessarily. Your audio equipment is what determines what it is you hear primarily.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #410 of 615
Quote:
A brief description of WASAPI from foobar2000's website:

"Adds Windows Audio Session API exclusive mode output support, allowing bit-exact output and muting all other sounds."

It doesn't provide an audible difference necessarily. Your audio equipment is what determines what it is you hear primarily.

The point of WASAPI and ASIO is that it bypasses Windows as to improve the sound. Like a direct connect. Kinda like how the DX100 uses its own dedicated driver to bypass androids native driver which improves the sound significantly in comparison. Personally I prefer ASIO to WASAPI. WASAPI sounds slightly warmer on my computer compared to ASIO which seems to have more articulation in the treble. I know there is not suppose to be any difference but to my ears there is. So I just use what sounds better to me (cPlay/Asio/Bladelius/TriadL3).

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #412 of 615
Quote:
The point of WASAPI and ASIO is that it bypasses Windows as to improve the sound. Like a direct connect. Kinda like how the DX100 uses its own dedicated driver to bypass androids native driver which improves the sound significantly in comparison. Personally I prefer ASIO to WASAPI. WASAPI sounds slightly warmer on my computer compared to ASIO which seems to have more articulation in the treble. I know there is not suppose to be any difference but to my ears there is. So I just use what sounds better to me (cPlay/Asio/Bladelius/TriadL3).

The problem is that wasapi and asio are bypassing something that is already bit perfect. That is, assuming you are on a modern operating system. Apparently XP wasn't bit perfect.. I'm not sure when it comes to macs, I haven't really researched them. I know that vista/7/8 are bit perfect though.

*At full volume and with nothing else playing*

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #413 of 615
Quote:
The problem is that wasapi and asio are bypassing something that is already bit perfect. That is, assuming you are on a modern operating system. Apparently XP wasn't bit perfect.. I'm not sure when it comes to macs, I haven't really researched them. I know that vista/7/8 are bit perfect though.

*At full volume and with nothing else playing*

I'm on Windows 7. I also notice Windows 8 sounds slightly better than Windows 7. I'm assuming this is due to less junk running in the background. That also has an impact on sound quality.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #414 of 615
Quote:
I'm on Windows 7. I also notice Windows 8 sounds slightly better than Windows 7. I'm assuming this is due to less junk running in the background. That also has an impact on sound quality.

I assume placebo :) I fooled myself with placebo for forever when it came to audio, and I still do in other areas of my life. Sometimes it's easier to just go along with it, actually, it's always easier to go along with it. Just use Windows 8 with asio and be happy, you likely aren't hurting the sound any.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #415 of 615
Quote:

I assume placebo :) I fooled myself with placebo for forever when it came to audio, and I still do in other areas of my life. Sometimes it's easier to just go along with it, actually, it's always easier to go along with it. Just use Windows 8 with asio and be happy, you likely aren't hurting the sound any.

Well I still reverted back to Windows 7 because of compatibility issues but Windows 8 did sound cleaner to me. My IEMs are extremely revealing of the source FWIW.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #417 of 615
Quote:
No real difference idiots. :D

lol or maybe its just you can't hear that difference idiot :p.

So far I'm up to 731 GB of FLAC 16/44 @ 36,097 songs. For my high resolution files I'm up at 515GB. That varies from 24/192, 24/96, SACD for the most part. I have a total of 5,338 files.

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #418 of 615
Quote:

I don't notice any sound difference but I like how wasapi disables all other audio, handy when surfing music related Internet.  It's also a good way to "level" the playing field when a/b testing equipment or software, which some people find fun

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #420 of 615
Quote:
I don't notice any sound difference but I like how wasapi disables all other audio, handy when surfing music related Internet.  It's also a good way to "level" the playing field when a/b testing equipment or software, which some people find fun

I hate how it disables all other audio. But, to each their own.

Quote:
I feel small amongst these crazy numbers being thrown around, I have a mere 500-600 EDM tracks in my library, mostly 320kbps, some lower and maybe +- 25 1411kbps WAVs

Everyone starts somewhere grasshopper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back