How many songs do you have in your music library?
Feb 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #391 of 615
I ripped to AIFF for a long time and recently ran out of space. I converted it all to ALAC and freed up a ton of space. If I had space, I'd use AIFF for pure archival purposes. 

Can't tell a difference, but the piece of mind is there with AIFF. 

One thing I love about using iTunes (and there aren't many) is that you don't need to keep copies of your stuff in MP3 or AAC. You can tell iTunes to downconvert to AAC when transferring to your device. All ALAC in the library and it goes down to 256 AAC when I put it on my phone or iPod.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #392 of 615

Quote:
I ripped to AIFF for a long time and recently ran out of space. I converted it all to ALAC and freed up a ton of space. If I had space, I'd use AIFF for pure archival purposes. 

One thing I love about using iTunes (and there aren't many) is that you don't need to keep copies of your stuff in MP3 or AAC. You can tell iTunes to downconvert to AAC when transferring to your device. All ALAC in the library and it goes down to 256 AAC when I put it on my phone or iPod.

That has to make the transfer take longer.. But, I like the idea more than keeping doubles like I do.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #396 of 615
Quote:

I keep all my files as AIFF.  I prefer to customize my MP3 versions to 320,  it is the highest bit rate that my iPod can handle without significantly altering the iPod itself.  iTunes is convenient for storing and cataloging and converting.  Better software is available for playback.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #397 of 615
I use Audirvana Plus with iTunes integration for the remote. I like the iTunes interface.

Quote:
I keep all my files as AIFF.  I prefer to customize my MP3 versions to 320,  it is the highest bit rate that my iPod can handle without significantly altering the iPod itself.  iTunes is convenient for storing and cataloging and converting.  Better software is available for playback.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #400 of 615
Quote:

There's better software for everything, but interface is an opinion and just cause I hate iTunes doesn't mean it's useless :wink:  I find it bogs down a lot trying to manage a larger collection

more people (with PC at least) should check out media monkey, much faster and easier (for me LOL) with seamless sync to i-devices.  Foobar is powerful but an occasionally irritating interface.  I'm now using JRiver which is pretty great but a steep learning curve and not free...

as for playback, anything with WASAPI should (should...) be equal

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #402 of 615
Quote:
*cough* wasapi makes no difference *endcough*

Good. I'm not the only one then. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #405 of 615

Users who are viewing this thread

Back