How many songs do you have in your music library?
Oct 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #541 of 615

Possibly even more but my memory is vague here, there was a thread on his setup, used for archiving cd/vinyl and such, it's crazy.

Consider me very impressed then, especially if he put the TLC into it himself. That's an accomplishment over several years to achieve. I just ordered a TOTL A/D eval board from TI that I'm looking forward to digitize my vinyl with. It can even output DSD, but I'm not entirely sure how I could get that stream into my PC...yet. I'll be going the 24/88 route for now.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #542 of 615
There are vinyl to converter boxes (not expensive but the studio use ones can cost thousands) that transfers the analogue digitized over USB or firewire to your PC.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #543 of 615
  There are vinyl to converter boxes (not expensive but the studio use ones can cost thousands) that transfers the analogue digitized over USB or firewire to your PC.

Yeah I know, but I like to DIY :) The eval board i bought is $149, and the same stuff is used in $1k+ A/D converters. I'll have to look into hooking up USB out, but it does have SPDIF and AES out installed. It can also output I2S, which is probably how I would hook up a USB card. Inputs also consist of XLR and RCA already installed. Really a nice little gem. All i have to do is hook it up to a linear PSU and case it up, and maybe swap an opamp if i choose :)

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #545 of 615
Wow. A million songs. Who the hell has the time to listen to that much music?!

Even if I had a library of over a million songs, I'd still spend much my time listening to random radio stations across many different genres. Part of the fun for me is discovering new gems out there.

To me, the purpose of having a library is to provide the highest quality music in the most flexible playback method(s) for use with my equipment at the locations I listen most often.

I've seen it stated before; there is music I like, and music I just don't understand yet.

I would consider this era to be the Golden Age of music discovery, as we now have access to nearly endless amounts of music. These are defintely exciting times for music aficionados.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #546 of 615
I Have just over 23000 tracks on last check in my foobar. I've been buying about 250 albums a year for some time now. 5 years ago a friend of mine gave me roughly 7,500 tracks in 320 mp3/flac that was his classical, jazz, acoustic and electronic collection, before that I only truly explored indie, rock, punk, pop, soundtrack and metal.

My main way of finding albums is usually through Sputnik music's charts for each genre, which are aggregate album ratings.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #548 of 615
3,146 songs - 310 albums - 56.7GB - 11.4 days 

All ripped at either 256kbps AAC, 320 kbps MP3, or FLAC/ALAC. Everything has be be FLAC now though, no more buying MP3's from iTunes or Amazon. I am only buying CD's and the occasional downloads from Bandcamp in FLAC. 

I've added 1,190 songs to my library in the last 11 months, not to bad really. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #552 of 615
My digital music collection (including CDs) has just surpassed 500; topping at 520 albums in total. My Vinyl collection stands at approximately 20, still needs growing. ; - )

Scary how similar that is to my situation. I've got a few more records, but definitely looking to grow the herd.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #553 of 615
Scary how similar that is to my situation. I've got a few more records, but definitely looking to grow the herd.

It should grow even more so with the coming months, so hoping the herd indeed does prosper and prosper well.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #555 of 615
3,304 songs now.

328 albums.

63.1GB.

Just an hour shy of 12 days.

About 1/3 is in FLAC/ALAC, the rest is either 320kbps MP3 or 256kbps AAC. There is quite a bit that I am in the process of slowly re-ripping in FLAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back