Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Catch up with me, if you can...
popcorn.gif

dont post anything for about 5-6yrs.

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't worry too much Steve, what you lack in smarts you make up in sex appeal.
biggrin.gif

I must have a great phone voice.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #48 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must have a great phone voice.
tongue_smile.gif

Or your smarts set the bar really, really low...
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #49 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I certainly wouldn't call us the most logical of folks.

I mean we spend hundreds and sometimes thousands just to get 0.1% better audio quality. Plus, the investment in weird and obviously ridiculous items (and their "better" versions) - like that one thing where you call and somehow magically improve your audio using a phone signal...

Smart and Logical are two very different things.

I know people will hate me for saying it - but just remember, I am in the same boat with this addiction.

BTW: I suck at grammar and spelling...especially considering it is my first language....

Oh I don't know about that. It seems more logical than say a shoe collection. Everyone who snickers at our hobby most likely spends a fair amount of money on something that many of us would consider ridiculous.

I think many non-audiophiles actually think it's the Emperor's new clothes syndrome, and that we don't hear the differences we claim, because they can't hear them.

Many of my friends can't hear much difference in one of my cheap headphone jacks built into stock equipment and my β22. And I'm pretty sure some of them doubt that I really hear any difference either.

I attribute this to a few things.

First I think that the ear can be trained and exercised over time to detect subtle differences that were not easily detected before such training. I know for a fact that I have have trained my ears in exactly this way over a long period of time.

Secondly I think that people tend to discount that not all of us hear the same. No one wants to think that he/she may be deficient in this sense. Even to the point that some will pretend to hear what others say they're hearing, especially in a group situation.

I'm not sure that everyone is cut out to be an audiophile, and I use this term as something completely different than music lover. I know many music lovers that are more than happy to listen to their favorite tunes on some craptastic boombox.

If you hear noticeable differences in different gear, and it brings you joy to pursue the best sounding system you can afford, then you're most likely an audiophile, and intelligence and logic are then subjective.

Of coarse this thread was meant tongue in cheek, but your post was of a more serious nature, so I chose to give a more serious answer.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #52 of 66
LOL... damn Micah, you're getting up there in posts too.
eek.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly you've probably hit the nail on the head.
redface.gif

Mehh, you never struck me that way but what do I know. At this point I've posted enough my IQ is dropping into the single digits. I wonder what happens when I hit zero?
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #54 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL... damn Micah, you're getting up there in posts too.
eek.gif

Yea... and I don't even have that much invested anymore. Is there anyway I could open a wedding registry with headroom, or maybe the FS forums?

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #55 of 66
well I don`t know about intellegence.. but you do need atleast 50 to post in the for-sale forum.

(5 more posts to go)

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #56 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Repooc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I don`t know about intellegence.. but you do need atleast 50 to post in the for-sale forum.

Correct! And you need to be really smart to see the sticky thread, mentioning it.
Cause a lot of the new members (not smart?) fail to see it, and ask why the /%¤& they can't post in the FS forum...

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #58 of 66
Crap... how did I miss this thread? I could have gotten 5 or 10 cheap posts by now! Oh well, here's one anyway.

What we were talking about again?

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What we were talking about again?

The members who found this thread, and posted to increase their smart-counter..
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The members who found this thread, and posted to decrease their smart-counter..
wink.gif

Fixed it for ya'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back