How many people here will not get Windows Vista?
Jan 30, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #95 of 157
I will not be upgrading to Vista.

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #98 of 157
No Vista for me. Ubuntu does all I need for it to do, is free, and runs well enough on my computer.

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #99 of 157
I will not get it untill its first service pack is out, all starting problems are known and fixable, all hardware is working with it and all mayor software titles work.

If, by this time, I'll have enough money to buy a Mac, I will get a mac. If not I'll keep my old PC and buy Vista. But this day is probably >1 year from now...untill then I have a "fine and dandy" WinXP install...

BTW, I hear people talking about they want Aero Glass. This are the 3 options you have with Vista:

1-For poor mofo's: no Aero
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/ima...3c3a5b4a05.png

2-For rich b**tches: the full monty, Aero Glass with transparency
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/ima...f08b28af95.png

3-For rich b**tches that actually want something usable: Aero Glass without transparency
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/ima...0e28b172af.png

So you're not exactly missing out if you have a poor graphics card and you can't have Aero Glass...actually I'd say 1 is better looking and more usable than 2...

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #100 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamemako /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista Ultimate is 400 bucks.

//EDIT: http://download.microsoft.com/docume...9cf5105718.pdf

See the line about transferring Vista again. The single transfer only applies to Windows Anytime Upgrade. (Excluding OEM versions.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Granneman
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device becomes the "licensed device."
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded from allows reassignment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Microsoft
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded from allows reassignment.

Feb 2, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #102 of 157
My Dell came with a Vista coupon so they will be shipping me a copy as soon as they ship which is supposed to be in 4-8 weeks.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #103 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamemako /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, a beloved easy-to-use Linux distro called Ubuntu. I personally prefer the KDE desktop, so I use the Kubuntu package (which is just Ubuntu with KDE pre-installed). It is fast, secure, and very user-friendly.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

As someone who installed Kubuntu two days ago as his first taste of Linux, I'd like to say what's on my mind. It is fast, sure; secure, no doubt about it. But it is user-friendly only if your hardwares happen to have caught the attention of the Ubuntu team. Kubuntu comes with a very helpful interface for setting up a dial-up connection; unfortunately I use an ASDL modem with no dial-up alternative, and to get the thing work was quite an adventure entailing much searching for tips in the net (while I was in Windows, naturally)

Yes, I hear you say, setting up a pppoe connection in Kubuntu is really a piece of cake: just go to the command line and fire up the program pppoeconf -- but I must say it is a piece of cake only to those who have a clue, and a noob like me most decidely did not. Even the pppoeconf program itself is a goof in design: you have to clear of the (username) entry by yourself before you type in yours; otherwise the program erroneously recognises your username as, say, (username)falconp.

Kubuntu recognises my on-board Nvidia Geforce4 MX chip, but was apparently unable to do anything about it. I had to download the drivers and edit the xorg.conf file. And even then, Kubuntu was unaware that I have a widescreen monitor, and again I had to remind it through xorg.conf. So far I had no luck getting the Compiz Open-GL tool work.

There is a lot to like about Kubuntu: the Repository system of software installation and management is a blast. The user-interface is crisp, beautiful and very customisable (even without Compiz). It recognises the files in my Windows partition and I can just drag and drop around. Everything is fast; even the net seems faster than in XP. But I feel that, as a "beginners'" Linux distro, Kubuntu is still not ready for prime time -- such an operation system should, I expect, recognise and automatically configure common hardwares, and be ready for the internet right after install. I admire Kubuntu for having gone miles making Linux a viable OS for the less computer savvy, but sometimes, what really matter are the few small steps that it has yet to take.

Feb 3, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #104 of 157
ADSL is still a tricky aspect of Linux, mainly because of its unorthodox and complicated measurements needed to be taken. But don't take this as a lack of usability. The fact is that you could have easily searched the manual pages for information on which command-line software to use to fix your problem. In fact, I've never seen better documentation on any operating system than Linux, because you can often find solutions to any possible situation before even going online to ask for more help; people report bugs/issues constantly.

I would attribute the difficulty in ADSL to the fact that most Linux users use a greater connection than ADSL. No offense at all intended towards you, but because Linux normally is downloaded for free off of the internet, and since ADSL is slower than more conventional broadband methods, I would wager that more people using cable modems, and firms using T1 or other LAN services, download and use Linux than ADSL users. There is thus a smaller user community with the need to make this work seamlessly.

In fact, to take this a little further, most of the basic-level Linux distributions (like Gentoo, Slackware, and Debian) actually provide in their manuals fool-proof methods of getting ADSL service to work with their systems on Linux. Kubuntu has a LOT of problems, so don't go assuming that it's the easiest to use. It's not at all like most conventional Linux distributions and has a lot of shortcomings resulting from their annoying and proprietary hardware recognition scripts.

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #105 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may go ahead and decide to just stick with Red Hat Fedora 6 SELinux and FreeBSD 6.2.

Definitely worth the shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many others will decide not to get Microsoft Windows Vista? At least this year?
Count me as +1...maybe.

Count me as well... for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back