How many people here will not get Windows Vista?
Jan 20, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #46 of 157
I won't be going to Windows Vista, atleast in the foreseeable future that is. I stayed with Win2000 until 2004 so I'm really in no rush... XP is running fine for me and I don't really care about all the fancy UI... Also for my next laptop I'm thinking about getting the Macbook and with that I really won't care for dual booting with Vista...

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #47 of 157
Not until I upgrade my computer and some friend is willing to install it for me.
icon10.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #48 of 157
I already have a corporate version (legally attained) and I'll be installing it in about two weeks time once I have the time to really get into the O/S.

I would not however just entirely ditch XP. XP may have it's problems, but at least it's reliable. Well, more reliable than Vista by any means, especially with current-application compatibility.

What do I do? Partionmagic is a godsend. Dual boot OSes so if I just want to work on a word document I'll boot XP. If I want to mesmerize myself in funky looking windows and media centre, Vista it is. For the ~70$ you'll pay for partitionmagic, it really is a wonderful utility.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #49 of 157
No, no, no...

There have been "tests" performed that said that the bare Linux kernel is almost as insecure as Windows XP is, but after taking advantage of the open source community and, like most Linux users do alreay anyway, setting up cron jobs for pertinent security updates, it was near impossible to break into compared to the vulnerable Windows XP setup.

It's not just a matter of market domination which makes MS operating systems so hack-able. I've been a white hat for almost five years now, and I've attempted to break OSX and other *nix systems many a time. It's always SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult to perform a *nix hack than a Windows hack. The fact is that stupid tricks like overloading network buffers don't work on Linux; the fundamental design is far too sophisticated and complex for this kind of trickery. Also realize that OpenBSD has not had more than two or three vulnerabilities even during the INSTALL process, which is absolutely amazing.

Microsoft has never been able to keep up with this. No matter what kind of propaganda they try to feed you, the fact of the matter still remains that they are constantly behind in upgrading their software, and their fundamental operating system design and ridiculous proprietary structures limit their ability to defend against attacks of all kinds at a very severe level.

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #50 of 157
I'm going to get Vista through MSDNAA when it becomes available, but I doubt I'll use it, at least for a while. I'd like to see how everything turns out with it first. If it's going to impede on things that I do (and there's no reasonable workarounds/cracks), I won't use it.

Jan 21, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #53 of 157
I don't think so... only just bought my copy of XP!
tongue.gif

In all seriousness I think the only reason a lot of my friends will upgrade is DX10, and frankly I'm not that interested, so I'll stay with XP.

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #54 of 157
I can't see me "upgrading" from Windows XP to Vista any time soon, if ever. There just don't seem to be any compelling reasons to do so. Maybe in the distant future when I get out of school and have time to play games again, I'll do it. Although, at the rate I'm going with that, I'll probably be upgrading to Vista's successor...
frown.gif

I do plan on trying to wean myself off of Windows sometime in between, though. I have a few different OS CD images sitting on my hard drive that I need to burn to disks and try out sometime. Anyone here running Solaris or FreeBSD?

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #55 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There have been "tests" performed that said that the bare Linux kernel is almost as insecure as Windows XP is, but after taking advantage of the open source community and, like most Linux users do alreay anyway, setting up cron jobs for pertinent security updates, it was near impossible to break into compared to the vulnerable Windows XP setup.

Yes, but I think you're missing the forest for the trees in the post that started this little argument. It has to do with the user set, not just the OS itself. Everyday computer users don't want to have to set up cron jobs or even learn what the hell the word cron means. Nevermind that they would have to understand the hundred or so little services that can be turned on and off -- the source of so many holes. So the "more secure" choice between a non-updated unix variant and a hole-y XP is six and one half dozen for the majority of users. Linux desktop distributions are getting better and easier to use, but for the uninitiated they can still be very dangerous.

I'm no Windows fan by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a valid point: when comparing system vulnerabilities it's just as important to consider the user as it is the system. And this is precisely why we see so many screwed up and unsecured XP machines -- it is the predominant OS of everyday users who don't know how to shield themselves from attacks.

--Chris

Jan 21, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #56 of 157
Well before going out tonight I would have considered myself a member of the XP loyals, however I learned today or i guess yesterday (wow four in the morning? what the hell happened to 2 and 3 in the morning?) that Engineering students on campus can get Windows Vista for free, I can get the business version as early as Wednesday. I'll post some impressions Thursday or Friday, though I should warn you, I'm no techie, so expect a shallow review.

Good night

Jan 21, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #58 of 157
I'll have it in a few months, or year, just like the rest of the XP users. The change will happen for about 90% of the Windows users, sometime in the next few years.

No point to do it soon, when its buggy etc, but it will happen

Jan 21, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #59 of 157
From what I hear, people who get lots of XP crashes tend to install and uninstall a lot of software - mediocre 3rd party s/w messing with the registry etc?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like DRM, NSA backdoors,

Are you talking about that HIDSERV conspiracy theory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back