How many of you ..
Jan 16, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #31 of 47
just gotta read my sig . . . . nuff said
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a modified X-FI platinum through a modified Onkyo p304 preamp...

Can you share more info on this?

My PC is my primary source, and looks like it'll stay so for a while. I'd rather invest in a LynxTWO than into some expensive CDP where I'd have to change CDs every so often. I would only consider a standalone system for speakers, to be honest, but nice speakers are quite an investment and I don't see myself buying them in the next 3-4 years.

Jan 17, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you share more info on this?

My PC is my primary source, and looks like it'll stay so for a while. I'd rather invest in a LynxTWO than into some expensive CDP where I'd have to change CDs every so often. I would only consider a standalone system for speakers, to be honest, but nice speakers are quite an investment and I don't see myself buying them in the next 3-4 years.

I'm guessing high quality caps for his X-Fi

I would also only use standalone systems for loudspeakers. Mainly it's because I'm not the type who can sit in front of my CDP just listening to music. I have to do something while at it and my PC fits in there best
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #37 of 47
PC as primary here. I don't think I'll ever go away from it as my primary source, but I do want to delve into vinyl at some point.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #39 of 47
My computer is far and away my primary source. Living in a college dorm limits the amount of things I can afford and have the space for. The 37" Westy monitor on my desk is already pushing it.
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #40 of 47
A computer workstation, laptop etc. drive with mp3s

Total Bithead via USB as DAC/amp

When on the move it's a Rockboxed iPod

For the main stereo, it's Firefly media server, streaming the mp3 library via UPnP to a Roku M1000 that is toslink connected to a Harman receiver.

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #41 of 47
I do!
PowerBook G4 -> AirPort Express -> DAC -> Amplifier

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #42 of 47
I use my desktop as my primary source. Using an X-fi right now. It was built as a gaming rig, so there's quite a bit of hardware in there. So I'm out of money to try and build a dedicated source. Especially since I just splurged on some A900s. So for the next year, I can definitely say my desktop will be my main source.

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #43 of 47
desktops my main source.

playing into my Aria DAC/Amp.

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #44 of 47
PC is my main, but for actually spinning discs i have the Oppo universal player tucked under the monitor, or the vinyl turntable on top of the tower. Jack of all towers!

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #45 of 47
I have recently begun using my computer/home server as my primary source both for amount of listening and highest quality source. I have found that having access to my entire music collection with just a few button presses of the remote to my SB3 or T-porter makes quickly 'throwing in a disc' much quicker and easier. I'm getting more out of my music collection than I have in past, by a large margin. And when I'm using my transporter, the sound quality blows away my cd based transport. Setup is:

EAC ripped flac files using secure mode w/ Accuraterip -> Infrant ReadyNAS V+ Server (1.3T redundant storage) -> wireless -> the following:

1. (Hi-fi rig): Shunyata Venom AC Outlet -> Shunyata Hydra 4 -> Transporter -> Zu Ash AES/EBU digital -> Empirical Audio Turbomodded DAC1 -> Zu Gede XLR -> Singlepower ES-1 -> HE90.

2. (Home 'intercom' system): SB3 (stock) -> Nutone multiroom intercom/speaker sysem (mono).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back