How many of you underclock during the summer?
Aug 3, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #34 of 45
I don't need to, my cooler does a great job being that it's a tower of aluminum and copper that could kill someone if it fell on their head from a few feet.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So its summer here and the temps have shot through the roof and I've noticed I've had my idle temps on my CPU increase by 15c compared to this spring! Because of this, I've been forced to reduce clock speed on my E6600 from 3.6 to 3ghz to get idle temps in the mid 30s. At 3.6 I was idling at 46-50c with a TRUE 120! How many of you guys have to reduce clock speed because of summer heat? Any temporary solutions?

Yeah.. My Macbook Air would crash crash crash if I was outside, needed to take it from 1.6 to 1.0 to gain stability.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #36 of 45
configure your mobo (if it has the option) for dynamic fan control and use efficient fans (i like arctic cooling heaps, moves air well and very silent). with dynamic fan control, it controls the fan speed in relation to cpu temp. my overclocked pc is silent when pottering on the web but lets me know when its sweating as all 5 fans then slowly ramp up to kkep temps nominal. when running at full, its a space heater..
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #37 of 45
My desktop tends to run 10c warmer in the summertime, but I don't underclock it. I do use it less because it heats up my room terribly (no AC)....

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there anyway to underclock an intel core duo processor laptop on the fly through software so that i can conserve battery?

Shouldn't that processor have SpeedStep???

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #40 of 45
i have no clue???
so far i reduce the screen to 50% brightness and turn off all background programs/no wallpaper when running off battery, but i'm looking to stretch another half hour out of the battery if possible... i figure running at lowest clock setting possible would do just that.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #41 of 45
It should be a SpeedStep processor... I'd check specs for your notebook. SpeedStep automatically alters the speed of the processor to conserve energy. Typically a BIOS setting.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #42 of 45
I undervolt my MacBook Air, but I don't underclock it. My first-gen machine has some cooling issues during high processor loads, but I undervolted it to .9V (from 1.1V) and it's running perfectly now.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #43 of 45
No underclock during the summer, and no overclock during the winter.
Just a steady speed all year though...

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #44 of 45
I don't underclock in the summer I just lower my total OC. Your proc should be able to handle stock speeds even with the terrible stock cooler that comes in the box, if you have an aftermarket solution you should never have to underclock.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #45 of 45
I don't underclock at all even though im running a near 50% overclock. Like other people mentioned if you have a half decent motherboard you should be able to set the energy savings so when you are just surfing the web it should run cool. It also helps if you have a more efficient processor (no amds!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back