How many of you still have your first pair of good headphones?
Apr 13, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #93 of 126
My Grado SR60 is built like a tank-my first headphone. My new baby is K701-is also like giant tank. This is will last for 100 years - I assume.
atsmile.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #96 of 126
What exactly do we mean by "Good" because for the TC it seems the HD650 is a very high watermark!

My first was the HD212 Pro... which I honestly didn't like that much. I still have it, though honestly been wanting to sell it.

If I had to say what was my real first "good" pair it would be the Audio Technica M50. I sold that though in favor of the Beyer DT770.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #98 of 126
Nice to see another San Diegen on here
smily_headphones1.gif

Miss my city, living in Japan now, wish I could go back and get me a nice california burrito!
Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Steve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have and very rarely use my Sennheiser 414s from 1973, $99, black band/yellow pads. These are extremely comfortable to wear for 4 hours or more of constant listening and they sound accurate in the vocal range. No bass and almost no high end.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #99 of 126
Back around 1986 I had a pair of Koss PortaPros. Except then I didn't know one way or another. I was rockin' to my tunes on my Walkman listening to my cassettes. Putting together "Mega Mixes" thinking I was cool. I was bliss and ignorant at the time. I have no idea what happened to them.

Fast forward twenty plus years I was searching for better sound quality out of my iPod. Almost simultaneously I discovered both Music Direct from the AMEX commercial and Head-Fi from a Google search. The irony of it all is the salesman I spoke to at MD was really pushing the funky looking AKG K-701 (at full retail of course) as the best for what I was looking for. I ended up going with the Grado SR-80 because of what I read on Head-Fi. The really are amazing headphones and I might even have lived with them forever if it weren't for this community. I've long since sold the Grado and the 701 is my current favorite headphone. With the HE-5LE arriving soon who knows?

Since the Music Direct guy had suggested an amp with both the AKG and Grado (I didn't buy one at the time for the Grado) and if I had purchased the AKG rig I might never have purchased the 16 other headphones I have since. Even at full retail, I might have spent less money ultimately. I know I wouldn't have had as much fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #100 of 126
Koss portaPro, about two years old, still kicking... Those have been with me in many places, and I still appreciate their fun and great sound.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #101 of 126
My Grado SR-60's are now with my brother, and I listen to them from time to time, for reference's sake. So I guess you can say I sort of still have them on hand. I certainly do get a kick out of how satisfied - no upgraditis to speak of - he is with them.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #102 of 126
i sold my first headphone grado sr60 in just 1month till i bought them

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #103 of 126
My first pair was a Shure SE210. I didn't like it so much, but I did pay a lot less than MSRP.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #104 of 126
I have owned Grado SR80's for quite some time now..... I'm guessing maybe 6 years or so.... I really can't remember.

I was/am into medium end home audio equipment so remember researching at the time what was availabe. I recall buying the 80's for around £80 UK. Which at the time was a reasonable amount of money.

I listened to them daily until around 6 months ago.

Recently I disovered (while sourcing a tube iPod Dock) that the portable hi-fi world was capable of some pretty high quality listening capabilities. OK, I was already aware, of course, that white headphones should go straight in the bin and be replaced by Senn's (or whatever)... but I was enlightened to the REAL capabilities of these DAP and DAP Amps. Since then I have purchased £30 IEM, £50 IEM and now £120 IEM (while still retaining the original upgraded CX-300's from a few years ago).

THIS forum taught me all about the above... hence the below happened
redface.gif
)

Likewise, I have upgraded my SR80's to AKG K701's. But still (and will ALWAYS) keep the SR80's. I have a strange connection and love for them. They have served me well and I'm grateful to them.

I'd contemplated modding them (I'm 53 pages into the Grado Mod thread) and brining them back to life, as it's what they deserve.... but my limited skills stop me from doing it.

Ideally, I'd love to treat them to a new cable, with detachable connectors in each cup, and a high quality 3.5mm, and aluminium or woody cups, plus I LOVE the detachable cable that I saw recently on the mod page where you can change the lower half of the cable to a short or longer section depending on you listening to them from home or on the go. (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pos...ml#post5948919)

But I suspect they stay, stock... and loved
redface.gif
)

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #105 of 126
Another Grado first owner, my SR80s are now 9 and are still with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back